HELP! My chicken has a growth or a swollen liwer eyelid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynn Manes, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Songster

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    My chcken has a growth on her lower eyelid that came up suddenly, but it looks like it's getting bigger. I'm in California, so we can no longer get antibiotics for our birds unless we take them to an avian vet. That's not an option for me. I have been putting warm compresses gently on her eye and an eyewash for fowl. After a few days, IMG_20180804_200428443.jpg I saw no improvement, so I carefully began putting Neosporin on the lid. There is still no improvement.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you see any stings or peck marks around the eye? Look inside the eye for any foreign body, ie, a seed or piece of dirt. Is there any evidence of nasal drainage, sneeze, wheeze, or gasping? Can you see any pus or thick gunk inside the eyelid? You usually can still get Tylan 50 injectable at most feed stores, plus some 3 ml syringes with 20 gauge needles. After drawing up the medication, remove the needle and give it orally. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound 3 times a day, or 0.3 ml per pound twice a day. A 5 pound hen would receive 1 ml while a 7 pounder would get 1.4 ml. That can be given up to 5 days. It would treat eye infection from a respiratory disease. If you see pus in the eye, it needs to be removed. Terramycin eye ointment is usally also available from many feed stores. Here is a link about Tylan and Terramycin ointment:
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...RDj0k0fuYkiWOz6UoY79X4zpdvgo5tRAaAt9REALw_wcB

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

3. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Songster

Mar 18, 2015
    California

4. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Songster

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    She had a very small bump next to the skin protrusion on the lid that looked sort of like a blood blister, but that has gone away, I believe. I checked her (Oopsie) eye and under that lower lid thoroughly. There were no foreign objects or dirt visible. But there was,along the lid rim, a dark line. I thought it was dirt, but it would not wash away. Her eye, itself, looks fine, but I'm concerned with that skin growth seemingly growing, it will completely cover her eye to the point she can't see at all. She is healthy, but seems to have lost a little weight, but some of my chickens and all my ducks are starting to go through molt. I'm hoping this is the case with her, and that's why she's looking that way. Oopsie still socializes with her flock, but she also has been hanging around closer to the coup with my oldest hen who prefers to free range around the coup area, but that's not all the time for either of them. My first guess about this problem was that maybe my rooster, in a moment of chicken passion, accidentally clipped her lid. Of course, I don't know how this really occurred.
    Unfortunately, thanks to our old hippy, dippy governor (and I'm being kind), all antibiotics and injectables were pulled from retail shelves in January this year. The only way I can get Tylan 50 or any decent meds now is through an avian vet, which I can't afford, or to have someone out-of-state get them for me, and ship them to my home undeclared. I wouldn't even be able, bc of this ridiculous law (leave it up to California to let this even pass through legislature), to order it online, bc they wouldn't ship it here. My granddaughter said she'd get it and ship it to me. I guess she will gain a new experience, bc she's never stepped foot in a feed store or I'm sure probably never saw a chicken up close and personal. Lol Do you have an educated guess as to what caused this, and do you think Tylan 50 will shrink that skin tag, as I'm calling it now? If I get some through my granddaughter, who btw is 3000 miles from me, there's no side effects from it if it doesn't work, is there? I have only had to medicate one other chicken with corrid, upon advise, earlier this year. Unfortunately, it wasn't helping her, so we took her up to UC Davis Avian Extension 2 hours frif us. It turned out she had ovarian cancer which I'd have never guessed a chicken could have that. So, we had her put down, bc she was suffering. They were the first I called about Oopsie, but bc I'm not asking for a necropsy, I'd have to take her to the small animal clinic, which we cannic afford. I also checked with an avian vet here they recommended. Same situation. Now, my only hope to help her is BYC.

5. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Songster

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    I thought it best to show you a photo of Oopsie before this eye incident happened. I have no clue what breed she is. I bought her a couple of years ago from a local feed store who buys birds, usually several month old pullets and cockerels from locals who want yo sell. (I think those are the correct terms for young hens and roosters, but feel free to politely correct me if I'm wrong. ). Thing with this store is they rarely get background info from the sellers. Also, my husband and I have only been raising fowl for 5 years. We've had pretty good luck and healthy birds for the most part, so we are fortunate; but we have so much to learn. I've been a member here practically from day one, but I still have problems navigating this site. I'm not very computer savvy.

Attached Files:

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her eye looks a bit enlarged and has the lesion on it in the before picture. There is no harm in using the Tylan 50 injectable if you can get it, but I would use it orally. If you could get ahold of something stronger from a vet, or Baytril online, it might be better to try. Here is a link about Baytril and places to get it which might be able to get by your state restrictions, and dosage is in post 3:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources.959119/

OG Anomaly likes this.
  7. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Songster

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    Thank you so much. I'll check the link on the Baytril, too. Yes, I forgot to say I thought she has a lesion. Do you think this could have been caused by my roo? I just wish we knew someone in a State closer to us. I told Michael that i'd be afraid if my granddaughter got it that it would cost too much to ship, plus, heaven forbid, if the bottle broke in transit. What a mess that would be, and a loss of $$ for us, not to mention wasted time for my very busy granddaughter. So do you think Baytril is better than Tylan 50? Also, are there expiration dates on these meds? I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much again.❤❤

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, there are expiration dates, and usually if they are fresh, those can be a year or more away. Tylan 50 in a vial is fairly small and probably would not break if wrapped with some padding. Baytril is a much more powerful antibiotic, and treats more types of bacteria, both gram positive and gram negative. Tylan is fine for MG and respiratory infections. Baytril will treat many types of infections, and is similar to Cipro for humans. In the link for Baytril, it is recommended to give the injectable form orally, not mixed in the water. Here is a link about it:
    https://www.drugs.com/pro/baytril.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: