Help.......my chicken has a hole in its head!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojochicken264, Jul 5, 2016.

1. jojochicken264

jojochicken264 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Please help me....my chicken has a little hole on the top of its head that it bleeding quite a lot.....she a also falls when I try to help her up.....she sits back down.....what should I do?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC!

You should head on over to the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum and ask about your chicken. Also, please post a picture of the wound so we can see exactly how bad it is.

How old is your chicken? Have you isolated her from the others, but within sight and sound? Clean it often to make sure it doesn't become infected or get worms.

Hope she recovers soon!

1 person likes this.
  3. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Hope she will Be ok.
    What caused the hole?

4. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Was she poked in the head...?
    is she still alive...?
    apply corn starch....use a q-tip to apply...
    go get some stop bleeding product.... to use now and have on hand for later use...
    there are sprays you can buy...and so on...
    I give poly vi sol without iron.... but from reading on byc maybe get some nutri-drench....
    don't move her around....keep her safe warm and quiet....
    They bleed to death easily.... so its important to get that bleeding stop....

5. jojochicken264

jojochicken264 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    she seems to be ok but doesnt eat or drink.She cant stand up so she just lays down

6. jojochicken264

jojochicken264 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. jojochicken264

jojochicken264 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    thanks for the information.....she got pecked by the rooster but seems to be ok

8. mustang56

Jan 4, 2012
    If she doesn't eat.... use a dropper to give her some poly vi sol without iron or the nutri drench....
    or maple or karo syrup..... something for energy...
    if it stopped bleeding..... cause stopping the bleeding is most important.
    use a little bit of neosporin without pain additives..... back away from the eyes....
    spend some time with her...in order to let the neo get absorbed.... do this twice a day...
    same thing just happened to one of my lady pheasants, except they also tore into the muscle in her back
    and ripped out all the feathers on her head, neck and upper back..... she was in bad shape....
    but with a little care,,, I think your baby will be okay.....
    keep her secluded and away from all harm.....
    Wishing you the best......!

1 person likes this.
  9. mustang56

Jan 4, 2012
    how is your chicken doing...?

10. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Isolate her to let it heal, give her a good amount of time away and than put her back with the others, in a cage with than for a week first, than put her free with your other hens an the roster. Also put Apple cider vinigar in her water one tbls to a gallon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by