Help! my chicken has a protruding bottom with ulcers

111sassy

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 21, 2013
Hi there, my chicken has her insides coming out of her bottom with what looks like ulcers on the flesh it is swollen and red and she has diarrhea. She has started to look lethargic and is closing her eyes alot. I have clipped the surrounding feathers, cleaning the area and applied iodine spray to it to stop infection but I think it's too late. Does anyone out there know what this is?
Thanks I really appreciate the advice:-0

It sounds as though she may have a prolapsed vent. Is the tissue hanging out still pink or has it turned black or discolored? She may have also had vent gleet. If you can try to lubricate the thing sticking out which is the cloaca and push it back inside, and hold for 5 minutes. Honey has been recommended by some to put on the prolapse to reduce swelling. Here is so info to read: http://www.pocketfarm.co.uk/hen-health-prolapse-of-the-vent/

Thanks so much for your reply, I will try what you have suggested however she has snuck under the house...I can't grab her and she wont come out for food, I'll have to wait until tonight...There are parts on her bum which have turned caramel coloured next to the pink flesh it looks like ulcers as big as a five cent coin, and its its kind of leathery...very strange indeed.

There may be some dead tissue there, and the longer the vent is prolapsed, the more chance of it dying. If it is possible, a picture might help.

If you can push the red tissue back inside with some honey, then place in in a cage in a dark space with little light for a for 18 hours a day. If she lays an egg, it may pop back out, so put it back in. The darkness will eventually slow the laying down, so she can heal. She may always have a problem with this, and you can prevent laying by getting her spayed or by having a vet give her Lupon hormone injections. This is common in high production hens from laying too large of eggs or other reasons. Be sure to keep her isolated from others, so that her red vent will not get pecked--she can be killed by other chickens pecking the red. Here is another link: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/egglaying-troubles-eggbinding-and-vent-prolapse.html

Thanks for the reply, I have pushed it back in but she forces it out again....even holding her for half an hour with pressure on it trying to keeping it in won't keep her from pushing it out again....I could feel an egg inside her also....She is in the dark have used honey and coconut oil which is a natural antiseptic not sure what to do from here...;-(

I would let her be until she passes the egg, then try to push the cloaca back inside. She will probably continue to lay like she usually does for the next several days, so be prepared. Put some honey on it or lubricate it with KY Jelly, but honey is better. Keeping her in the dark for 16-18 hours a day will be important to stop her from laying as much. This can be a lifelong problem, and although most people will try to help their chickens, some people will cull these birds. You might check into Lupon injection from a vet: http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/tag/lupron-injection-for-chicken/

Back
Top Bottom