HELP!! MY CHICKEN HAS LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT AND DOES NOT LOOK GOOD

17chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
My chicken about a week ago got sour crop and seemed to get better but turned for the worst. She has always been a bigger chicken but has lost severe weight and has lost her appetite. She has runny greenish yellow diarrhea and stands like a penguin. she is very weak and constantly closes her eyes. I checked to see if she was egg bound but that doesn't seem to be the case. she also shakes slightly. please help I'm out of options and after I lost my beloved pet duck to a dog my pet chicken Kentucky has became my friend and now i'm afraid to lose her too. she is also little over than four years old.

My chicken about a week ago got sour crop and seemed to get better but turned for the worst. She has always been a bigger chicken but has lost severe weight and has lost her appetite. She has runny greenish yellow diarrhea and stands like a penguin. she is very weak and constantly closes her eyes. I checked to see if she was egg bound but that doesn't seem to be the case. she also shakes slightly. please help I'm out of options and after I lost my beloved pet duck to a dog my pet chicken Kentucky has became my friend and now i'm afraid to lose her too. she is also little over than four years old.
I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs
If you have photos of her poop and of her you would like to share, that would be good.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?

When you checked to see if she was egg bound, did you notice if she had any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen (below the vent, between the legs)?

You mention that she had sour crop - is her crop empty in the mornings before she eat/drinks?

Getting a fecal float to check for worms is always a good idea. With the symptoms you describe, standing like a penguin with weight loss and lethargy, I would suspect that she has a reproductive/internal laying disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors or Salpingitis.

You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that will soothe her. See that she is drinking well, then offer food. Re-Check the crop for several mornings in a row to make sure it's emptying properly.

http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/

I have been soaking her in a Epsom salt bath for the past three days and her crop was full and hard in the morning and her abdomen below the vent was feeling squishy like fluidView attachment 1571715 View attachment 1571716 View attachment 1571717
Bless her sweet heart!
She is not doing too well:hugs

Can you take her to a vet?
If her abdomen feels like it has fluid in it, she may have complications with Ascites. Sometimes the fluid can be drained to give them some relief for a short period of time.
It's best if a vet can drain her, but some people do it themselves. Instructions for draining can be found in POST#4 of this thread. You do risk introducing bacteria when you drain, so it would be a good idea to get some antibiotics to help fight infection.

The crop issue is probably related to the swelling/fluid in the abdomen. Swelling/fluid can press upon the internal organs making it harder for the digestive process. Do what you can to keep her hydrated.

The video may also help too.

I agree with Wyorp Rock that your hen is most likely suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, salpingitis with lash egg material, or egg yolk peritonitis, all related. Ascites or fluid in the belly may be a secondary condition. It is doubtful and anything can be done at this stage, to save her life. As WR posted, some try removing some fluid (if there is ascites,) with a 16 gauge needle, which may relieve some pressure. I would try to keep her comfortable, and try to massage her crop several times a day, getting her to drink water, perhaps give her a small chip of cold coconut oil to get her crop to decrease in size.

Back
Top Bottom