1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! My chicken has skin ripped off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tricia5099, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Tricia5099

Tricia5099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Nothern IN
    My buff brahma roo was in a coop with large roosters and they pecked him, without me realizing it was so bad. I could obviously she his head a little pecked but taking a closer look at him I noticed his whole back was picked and under his wing the skin has been ripped off. He seems to be breathing heavier. I don't know how long it has been like this. He still eats and drinks. I have put probiotics in his water. He is in the house. Before deciding to bring him in the house I put peck me not on him so his skin is black from it drying. I wrapped the wound last night, but I don't know if I should leave it open. I put a little bit of peroxide on the wound and some a &e ointment on the skin. I would like to give him a bath so I can actually see how the skin is doing rather than just being able to see black, is this ok to do? What else should I do to help heal the wound and prevent infection?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Blu Kote or Nu Stock available at Tractor Supply Company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by