HELP, My chicken ingested ant poison!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samuelcl, Dec 4, 2013.

1. samuelcl

samuelcl New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    So I previously posted thinking my chicken had a tumor(my mistake), I just found out recently that my father poured some ant poison powder somewhere near our yard, he may have ingested some, he won't stop drinking water, and won't eat. What should I do?

2. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    I'd take him to an avian vet if there's one in the area. If not, you may just have to let nature run its course and see what happens. I'm not sure what else could help, but someone else probably has more experience than me and can help. Also, You should probably let him keep drinking water, as that's most likely his way of flushing the poison out his system. Best of luck, and I really hope someone else will be more helpful. :)

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you find out the brand name or the active ingredients on the label of the poison? You can then Google the brand name of the product or ingredients to know what is does or how it would affect an animal. There are flushes you can give to get rid of some poisons, such as an epson salt or molasses flush.

1 person likes this.
  4. samuelcl

samuelcl New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Pest Off! Roach & Ant Killer Chalk, Deltamethrin 0.20% is it's active ingredient.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is what I found on one site--it is a form of permethrin, and is neurotoxic. I would probably do flush. Watch for signs of twitching or paralysisor lethargy. Make sure they are drinking. I'm not familiar with this, so hopefully they didn't eat much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by