Help! My chicken is egg bound or sick!

Darcy H.

Hatching
Apr 11, 2018
My red sexlink just started going off by herself and seeming depressed. She goes away from the flock with her neck pulled close to her body and sleeps. She doesn't eat a lot and doesn't react to much. I checked to see if she was egg bound by feeling her abdomen and checking her cloaca but I didn't feel an egg. Her stool is what is concerning though. It is see through, sticky and mucus-like. I tried researching what it could be but there are no answers. Please help!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7623.JPG
    IMG_7623.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 9
Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing?
When did she last lay an egg?

She may be having some reproductive problems, but it's a good idea to check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight and have a fecal float to rule out Coccidiosis and worms.

She last laid an egg yesterday but I have been noticing her eggs have become longer and strangely shaped. They also have very thin shells. What is a fecal float? I am new to owning chickens so I haven't heard of this before. Lastly, we want to take her to the vet but the only vet that can help chickens is very expensive and my family cannot afford that now. Thanks for your feedback!

She last laid an egg yesterday but I have been noticing her eggs have become longer and strangely shaped. They also have very thin shells. What is a fecal float? I am new to owning chickens so I haven't heard of this before. Lastly, we want to take her to the vet but the only vet that can help chickens is very expensive and my family cannot afford that now. Thanks for your feedback!

A fecal float is a way for vets to test a stool sample to look for worms and Coccidiosis. If you have a dog/cat vet that you normally use, see if they will perform the test for you.
Putting your location in your profile is helpful. Sometimes you may have a state vet lab near you that will do testing for a nominal fee.

Do you have some photos of your hen and her eggs?

Since they are getting longer and shaped differently, I would just take a guess that she is beginning to have some reproductive problems. Is she overweight or does she seem to have a fat bottom?

Ok that sounds like a good option to do the fecal float. She is not overweight or have a fat bottom. I will try to get some pictures later today.

Back
Top Bottom