HELP! My chicken is falling down?

Kayschix

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Hello, I am new today to this forum. I posted earlier today and if I am doing this wrong, please forgive me.
I have a chicken that is about 5 years old, still lays, is eating, drinking, scratching, all the stuff the other chickens do. The problem is she stands still and pecks and forages, but when she starts to move or walk, she wobbles, and basically falls over like she has been drinking. I don't see any physically injuries, she seems to be acting normal, except the falling. Has anyone ever experienced this before? She can't keep her balance. When she is nervous or if the other chickens pick on her as they know something is wrong she sometimes opens her mouth as if she is hot? Not sure what this is all about but if anyone has seen this and can help, I would be very grateful.
She is in the house right now because they were all after her.

Sounds like it could be an inner ear infection or a vitamin deficiency. Check her ears (small openings on each side of a birds head, covered in small stiff feathers and above the earlobe) for any swelling, redness, or discharge. If you notice anything unusual, a course of antibiotics might be needed to treat the infection.

I would also start giving your hen some extra vitamins. Giver her oyster shell for calcium, some good poultry vitamins, and nutritious food. Make sure she is eating and drinking well. Also, has she ever been wormed? If not, I would do that, too. I'm not sure if worms would have anything to do with her shakiness, but that is what I would do. Wormer choices include SafeGuard, Ivermectin, Valbazen, Piperazine, or (the one I use), the Worminator (you can purchase it from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584).

Of course, she could just be getting old, and her health could be failing. Five years is pretty old for your average chicken.

Back
Top Bottom