HELP!! My chicken is frantic!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shaela, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Shaela

Shaela Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    In a nutshell: I have 5 chicks, 5/6 weeks old. The two youngest (and smallest) are at the low end of the totem pole but doing fine. My white leghorn had a massive bald spot and scab above her tail from pecking when we got her at 3 weeks old (my daughter insisted on THAT chicken, and she paid for her herself). But the scab completely healed and all her feathers are growing back in and she was doing really well.

But I went out to run errands today (and actually buy a bigger brooder) and came home and she has had all her tail feather pulled out and was bleeding from the stumps a lot. I moved the other four chicks to the bigger brooder, washed off as much blood as I could and put her back in the smaller brooder by herself. But she's going crazy. She's squawking so loud it hurts my ears, and she keeps flying up/throwing herself against the chicken wire lid. We put her next to the other brooder so the chicks can hear each other but she's still just as frantic.

What should I do? Should I spray her with blue kote and put her in the bigger brooder with them all? Should I put the other little one in with her? Should I leave her in isolation till she heals and let her be frantic? I'm building the coop next week and want to move them all out at the end of April but will that cause problems if they're separated until then?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have found that BluKote can help disguise wounds to prevent further picking, but some don't like it, or say it didn't work for them. Bad tasting creams such as Nustock which will hide and help heal the wound may work well. Bag Balm and Vicks are others, and Anti-Pick Lotion may also help. I would put her back in with the group or at least with a couple of others. At this age they are establishing their pecking order, so it is important to keep them together. Some design little TShirts to cover wounds. Improvising may help. I hope it helps, but they need more room. http://www.amazon.com/Duvet-Durvet-Nu-Stock-Ointment-12-Ounce/dp/B00MI0617G

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO it's time to find out why this happened. What makes up their entire diet?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. Shaela

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    They are only eating chick starter feed.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Very good. Is it 18% protein?
    A temporary protein boost may prove helpful.
    Try getting a can of mackerel (cheap good animal protein) and feed a bit each day.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. Shaela

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    Yes it is. I think they might be bored... is it safe to throw in a clump of grass or a meaty apple core for them?

7. Shaela

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    Thank you everyone! I went down to the feed store and they sold me Rooster Booster Pick-No-More. I put it on her wounds and put her back with the others. So far it seems to work great! It turned her purple, and it smells and tastes nasty so the other chicks are leaving her alone, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by