1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help my chicken is going blind ! :(...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sare bear, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Sare bear

Sare bear In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Delta, BC
    [​IMG]

2. Shabana

Shabana Songster

Difficult to see from the photo but two things spring to mind.
    First would be a respiratory disease and the second would be dry pox.
    For dry pox the nodules can pop up near or close to the eyes. These cause irritation to the chickens eye and the chicken will scratch her eye causing injury and bacterial infection. You can flush out the eye and apply
    terramycin eye ointment in the eye several times a day until healed, neosporin ointment will work if you cant get the terramycin eye ointment. For serious eye infections I would look to use Baytril or Amoxcillin.

If you have a vet that will see her I would take her and a sample of her poop to see if she has a respiratory disease.
    She will need an antibiotic for this and possibly for any secondary infections.

Keep her isolated. Warm, and quiet with easy access to her food and water.

I hope she improves, and that some other people reply too xx

3. Sare bear

Sare bear In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Delta, BC
    Thanks, I used superboost a few weeks ago, before this, when I got all 5. This one had sores when I got her but I figured they were from roosters/fighting. Right now her poop is liquid. I had just started them all on terramycin in fear of crd as they all seemed to sneeze occasionally. I put polysporin as that's all I have as far as ointments. She is not too interested in food unless I throw some bread, she did eat a bit of food after. Mostly she wants to hide either from me or everyone. I have a syringe to administer super boost again as it seems to loose n up the eye and sinus. Also im giving her some electrolytes...a vet is far from here and vehicle issues are restricting me from taking her but thankfully im right around the corner from our local feed store.....fingers crossed she pulls through, seemed doubtfull but if she eats a bit I feel optimistic :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: