Help! my chicken is lethargic and pooping white/bloody!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alexalet, Feb 17, 2012.

1. alexalet

alexalet Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I just went out to our coop to find one of my black silkies (one of the ones that doesn't usually go outside) just sitting on the ramp to get in and out of the coop. I didn't immediately recognize this as a problem, and thought it was nice he was getting some fresh air, so I went and took care of the chicks. but when I came back, he was in the exact same position with a white-ish bloody mess under his vent![​IMG] I have him here sitting on my lap as im typing this, and a little light brown bug crawled across my wrist that i'm using to hold him. Is this related/a problem?
    Thanks!

2. alexalet

May 12, 2011
    He also seems to be really hot[​IMG], and is letting his head droop.[​IMG]

3. alexalet

May 12, 2011
    his mouth is hanging open, and he won't drink anything.

4. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Has he been wormed and deloused recently?

5. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Deal with the dehydration first as it sounds like he may be running a temperatue- syringe a mix of sugar water into his beak. If he is not up to date on worming or louse he may need treating. If he has an infection he may need anti biotics
    It could also be something like cocci which would need treatment- i am currently treating mine for this and am using Coxoid (available online) - I live in the UK and drug names may differ so it may be worth a google search.
    Hope he gets better soon

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Okay, on bloody poop causes 1) Cocciodosis, you treat with Sulmet or Corrid, which you can get at the pet or farm supply and 2) Worms, you treat with Valbazen, which you can get at the farm supply.

The Sulmet and Corrid I believe has some type of antibiotic in it which is something he needs right now. You have to do this soon because it's a life threatening emergency by the sound of it.

Get the Valbazan also. Dosage is 1/2 ml for an average size bird and 1/4 ml for a small bird.

Good idea to treat for dehydration. I like to use water with a splash of gatorade and drop drops on top of his beak so he sips. Set him in your lap and use the dropper slowly for awhile but go get the medicine now.

I suppose it is possible he could have some type of kidney infection but if the butt is not red and swollen, it's probably not. In any case, get the medicine and that should help. Follow the directions. If he doesn't start improving in a few days, you may want to think about a stronger antibiotic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by