1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my chicken is like a statue! I am a novice and need advice desperately!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gigglssmls, Jan 27, 2013.

1. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    I have had chickens and geese for about 67 months now and still feel so lost sometimes. Recently I was given a hen I named licorice. Licorice is a black astrolorp and I knew right off the bat she was older. Anyhow, she is non mobile now, not eating and BARELY drinking. I treated her with antibiotics, and some DE. I currently have her isolatred in a cage in order that if she is contagious my other hens woill notbein contact. She is NOT acting like a normal hen. She lets me do ANYTHING I want with her.... I can pose her and she stays.... I actually forced open her beaj\k and placed a VERY small buit of food in her mouth which she ate. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hi Michelle, I hope you're doing well. I remember your previous post about Licorice. Stop the antibiotics, they arnt working. Dont give her any DE, that is useless.
    Keep her seperated from the others. I recommend that you worm her with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage for either product is 1/2cc given orally undiluted, use a syringe without a needle. Repeat worming her again in 10 days. You can also use safeguard equine paste to worm her. Dosage is a "pea" size amount of the paste given to her orally, repeat again in 10 days.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    Thank you Dawg....... this is the first post I have ever placed regarding Licorice.... you probably remember my post about Diamond which by the way is doing FANTASTIC. After laying her shelless egg and her prolapse she has been fine. I used sugar on her prolapse and the swelling almost immediately disappeared and her vent has looked amazing since. I kept her in the house in a cage in the dark as instricted to discourage egg laying until her prolapse was fully healed but instead she laid an egg EVERY day lol.... her FIRST egg matter of fact besides the shell-less one. She is doing fantastic now outside and in the coop doing her chicken stuff lol.

Licorice is the one I worry about. She LOOKS amazing. Fell fluffy shiny feathers..... and until day before yesterday she had a great weight. Today she is light as a feather. Breaks my heart... poor girl. Anyhow I will ck out what you suggested. Thank you again Dawg. It seems that no matter how often I post YOU are always reliable in replying and trying to help. Thank you!

4. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    Hen's (Licorice) condition deteriorated VERY quickly. She is totally lethargic . Barely opens her eyes. Has NO interest in leaving the cage. I can tip the cage a bit and she just rolls from one side or another. She has a thick yellow mucus like substance running like a weak faucet from her beak. Her comb has changed colors from red to a dark brown. Her odor is unbearable Due to my terminal illness and auto immune disease I had no choice but to let my husband handle it. Sadly she was in obvious distress and pain . She is in Hen heaven now. God bless her!

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You absolutely made the right choice. But I'm sorry you had to go through her loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by