HELP! My chicken is loosing weight, HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alonso23, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Alonso23

Alonso23 New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    It's summer time, and my chickens are starting to molt, however, there is one that is about 3 years old that has lost some weight and feels light, she's been loosing muscle tone and her breast bone in more prominent. She eats, but I haven't seen her drink water, I hand syringe her water just to make sure she stays hydrated. Her stools been small and green and white. I recently dewormed her. I tried everything I can and all I have left is hope. Any recommendation to what I can do. Thank you.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Molting can be hard on chickens especially in hot weather.
    Giving extra protein in the diet is helpful. You can do this by giving a commercial all flock type feed (20%protein), a feather fixer formula or by adding scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, salmon, mackerel or meat to their diet. If any are still laying eggs, make sure to have a calcium source for them like oyster shell free choice.

The green and white poop is sometimes an indication of lack of nutrition, so add some poultry vitamins to the water as well.

3. Alonso23

Alonso23 New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by