Help! My chicken is not digesting her food.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenKelly, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ChickenKelly

ChickenKelly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    One of my chickens, is not digesting her food. She is a year old buff orpington whos poop is watery with big pods of whole undigested grass. She is otherwise acting normal. We have plenty of grit in her food and scattered in the yard. She has not laid eggs since she started molting about a month or two ago, but is about done with that. A few days ago we gave her a wormer but have not seen any change.
    I have seen the "poop page" but can't see anything that really matches. Her poop is really like whole wet grass that is in a tight pod. I will try and post a pic.

Thanks!

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Has she always had this problem or is this a recent change? How long has this been going on? To me it sounds like malabsorption, basically that her body has trouble gleaning nutrients from her feed, but I'm not sure she would have survived to 1 year if she truly had that problem. How's her skin and leg color compared to other buffs? Is she smaller than others her age? Depending on how long it's been going on, it could just be a temporary glitch in her system, especially if she's acting normal in all other ways.

3. ChickenKelly

ChickenKelly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    This is a recent change. We have noticed it for about a two weeks now. She is the same size and has the same leg color as another buff we have. looks to be very healthy. Looks and acts like a normal heathy buff other than her poop. We just want to make sure she is getting nutrients. Her poops are definetly not normal now. I have tried looking this up but can't get the same answer from anybody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by