HELP MY CHICKEN IS NOT EATING OR DRINKING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angeel, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Angeel

Angeel New Egg

Dec 10, 2015
    My chicken has not been eating or drinking for 4 days. Her feet look horrible, the scales are peeling off and there is a huge lump attached to her left foot. Her eyes are also swollen on both sides. She has not left her coop for days. I have tried feeding her food and water but it almost instantly comes out as diarrhoea. What can I do for her?? Please help!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you get her to vet? Her legs look awful and kind of look infected. Which may be why she's not eating or drinking.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

Vet care would be best.

A few questions:
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    What type of space do you keep your chickens in - enclosed run/coop or free range - photos?
    Have you ever treated for Scaly Leg Mites?
    Have you ever wormed your chickens?

Separate her and give her a good bathing. It looks like her "undercarriage" is soiled as well. Use warm water and a little dish soap, work the soil out of the feathers underneath and around her vent. Dry her well, a blow dryer on low heat helps with this.

Check her over well for any signs of lice/mites in the feathers under the wings, neck and around the vent. If you see any lice/mites crawling on the skin (around the feather) give her a light dusting with Poultry Dust.

Once you clean her up well, then soak the legs in a warm bath with epsom salts added. Once they have soaked for a little while, gently scrub the legs and feet with a soft brush (like a toothbrush or soft nail brush). This will help get the caked on debris off the feet and legs- don't pull the debris off unless it is really loose, you don't want to damage the skin further, subsequent/daily soaking and treatment will hopefully help remove the majority of the debris.

Dry the legs well. Inspect the legs and feet, they do look like they may be infected. Look at the bottom of the feet as well. Once you have them cleaned up, post some more photos if you can.

Normally I would suggest applying some vaseline, A+D ointment or oil to the legs and feet, but you may want to start with some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment (plain Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc).

Keep her separated and place her on clean dry bedding after you treat her legs and feet. Try to keep the bedding as fresh as you can.

For the eyes. Gently wash/flush them with saline since they are swollen. Try to get them open to see if there is any pus or debris in them. If there is flush it out. Apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eyes.

Offer some vitamins in her water. Chickens get dehydrated easily, so hydration is the first step. Once she has had water, then offer some wet poultry feed or hard boiled egg.

Keep her warm. Hopefully she will perk up.

If you can't take her to a vet, then you will need to soak the feet at least once a day, dry them well and re-apply your ointment.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

@wyorp Rock :goodpost:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  5. Angeel

Angeel New Egg

Dec 10, 2015
    @Wyrop Rock
    Thank you so much for your advice. Here are the answers to your questions:
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    chicken feed ( grains: corn, wheat, sunflower seeds, sorghum,etc. )
    What type of space do you keep your chickens in - enclosed run/coop or free range - photos?
    Free range (my backyard 1/2 acre)
    Have you ever treated for Scaly Leg Mites? A lot of my chickens have scaly leg mites, I just put vaseline mixed with sulphur on their feet.
    Have you ever wormed your chickens? I have, quite a while ago: mid last year

She does occasionally open her eyes and there is a very thin white glaze over it. (can I put chlorosig for conjunctivitis on it?)

She will not eat or drink no matter what I do, so I can't feed her anything...

vet care would be ideal, but I cannot afford it.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can try tube feeding her. Photos/instructions on how to do this starts around post #15. Getting water into her would be first thing.

I'm not familiar with the Chlorosig, so cannot confirm whether or not it can be used @casportpony ?

Try to do the best you can.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding starts at 15

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by