1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My chicken is sick. I need to know how to cure this!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueRadFish1, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BlueRadFish1

BlueRadFish1 New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    My chick has its head down and wings away from the body (open) as it is warm trying to cool down. This is a baby. It cant hold its head up. It cant move. Im worried. I put it in a seperate cage with food and water. I put some electrolights in the water. Please I need help! Im worried about her. This just happened. It wasnt born like this.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Do you have a thermometer on the floor of your brooder in the hottest part, plus a cooler area to escape to if she is too hot? I would add some sugar or SaveAChick electrolytes to the water, and give the chick plenty of water today by dipping it's beak, or using a dropper to feed it. It may be overheated or dehydrated. Also check it's vent to make sure there isn't pasting up.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the chick? Chicks that have been shipped in the mail, including feed store chicks, can suffer from shipping stress up to 7-10 days. Electrolytes with vitamins should be the first treatment, dipping the beak as often as possible. Pedialyte, Gatorade, and 1 tsp of sugar and a small pinch of salt to a liter of water can be substituted temporarily. Make sure they are warm, around 90 degrees F in the brooder, and have a clean vent. Pasty vents should be washed gently in some warm soapy water using your fingers, rinse, and dry with a tissue. Don't get the chick wet all over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by