help!! my chicken is wheezing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by applebutter14, Mar 24, 2015.

1. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i have a 1 1/2 month old salmon faverolles hen, (her name is sally) she has been staying outside for a week or 2 now and the other day i was holding her and she was wheezing and sneezing... i know its probably just a cold but i'm worried about her ( she's my baby of the flock) the other 12 chickens are doing fine and they are not sick. i brought her inside and she is under a heat lamp i also brought in her best friend so she wouldn't get lonely.

any advice helps! [​IMG]

2. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    any?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where did you get the chicks? Mycoplasma (MG) can show up about that age when is caught from parents or through hatching eggs. MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, lLT, and other common respiratory diseases can affect chickens. Antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline, and Duramycin can help symptoms, but many of these diseases can make carriers of your flock for life.

4. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i purchased my chicks from murray mcmurray hatchery. thanks for the info!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Respiratory diseases can also be spread through wild birds coming into the yard drinking out of waterers and eaing out of feeders. They can also be brought home on shoes or clothes from farm stores or swap meets, or from others with chickens coming into your yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by