1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my chicken laid this flesh covered yolk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alliegg, Oct 13, 2015.

1. alliegg

alliegg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    Help! My bird laid a fleshy covered yolk only!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a 10 month old red star. She laid great for a few weeks and stopped abruptly, and hasn't laid for a few weeks. She is eating great and moving around normally. Yesterday she laid this!!!! The outside is fleshy and when I cut into it there was only healthy looking yolk! She still seems fine, in fact today she seems extra perky. What cud this be and should I be freaking out because I totally am!!!
    CancelEditSubmit

FAQ · Support · Feedback · Sign Out
    MobileDesktop
    [​IMG] 2015 BackYard Chickens is powered by Huddler Lifestyle

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Never seen that before. Maybe @Eggcessive knows what it is?

-Kathy

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've seen that before, something similar. It's probably just a glitch in the system. The hens who laid these were just fine afterward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This shell contained weird tissue.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @alliegg, welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. speckledhen

+1! Just noticed you're a new member.

6. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Wow I hope my Hubby never sees those pics. He gets all weird over a double yolker. It took a long time to get him to eat farm fresh eggs instead of store bought. The weirdest egg I've had was long and skinny and only had a white in it.

7. speckledhen

LOL, he'll have to get over it. Glitches happen and you don't see those in commercial eggs because they're tossed out, but they do happen in commercial flocks, too. I've seen quite a few weird eggs, including a completely normal egg that was enclosed in a membrane like a sack.

8. alliegg

alliegg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    I am glad to report that my Ellenor, the bird in question, layed a perfectly normal egg yesterday! I wanted to update this post for anyone in the future that may have the same weird thing happen to them. Thank you for your responses.

9. speckledhen

[​IMG]

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Thanks for the update!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by