help, my chicken squashed her toe!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southclarkson, Jul 25, 2014.

1. southclarkson

southclarkson In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    She's young, only about 11 weeks. She must have been sitting on a folding lawn chair when somehow it was knocked into a folded position & she was sitting there stuck. About the top half inch of her toe is totally flattened & she bled about a tablespoon or two (it collected in the arm of the chair.) She is just sitting & it is still bleeding a little, but I have NO IDEA what to do? wash it? neosporin? Wrap it? I'm quite sure it's broken, but it is just the tip below her nail... see I don't even know what the proper chicken terms are! Please give me any advice you can!
    thanks in advance!

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome! I'd wrap it up and see what happens. I had a pigeon that had her toe pinched in the door of my loft and she healed on her own.

3. southclarkson

Jul 25, 2014
    i think the tip of her toe is going to fall off, its practically severed... should i let it fall off or clip it? I'm actually not sure i have it in me to clip it... but maybe my husband will if needed.

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd leave it.

5. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    I'd leave it.

6. southclarkson

Jul 25, 2014
    It did eventually fall off & has healed over nicely. I used this powder that crusted over the wound & that blue spray.

7. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yay! I glad she's better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: