Help! My chicken was attacked by a dog!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dova1030, Apr 28, 2017.

1. dova1030

dova1030 Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    So I have about 20 chickens total, all within the age of 2-4 months. I just bought 3 silkies from a friend and they are about 2 months old, living outside. Today, my neighbors puppy accidentally got ahold of one of my silkies. I'm absolutely devistated. Her whole front/chest is open. No skin or anything, you can see both of her breasts. It's about a 2 and a 1/2 inch gap with no skin what so ever. The breasts aren't bleeding and don't have holes in them, it's just like her skin was torn/ripped off. So far, I put her in a large box inside alone with food and water, and a soft towel. She was cherping a lot from being alone so I brought the 2 silkies in that I bought with her. She seems much happier now, she's laying in between them and they don't pick at her at all. They seem to almost snuggle with her and protect her. She's walking find and acting okay but the wound looks very bad. What should I do? Treatment or just not touch it at all?

2. 10 acre woods

10 acre woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    I had a turkey get it's breast ripped wide open by a goat. I just cleaned it with peroxide and sprayed it with blu cote. He recovered and skin grew back over the wound. It looked rough and no feathers ever grew back, but other than that he lived a normal life afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  3. dova1030

dova1030 Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    About how long did it take??

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?

General wound care would be flushing the wound with saline or diluted betadine and applying some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. Since you have her with the other chicks, you may want to apply some Blu Kote first to help hide the wound, then apply the ointment.

Try your best to keep it clean. Watch to see that she is eating and drinking. Add some poultry vitamins to the water.

Watch for signs of infection like pus and foul odors.

Let us know how she is doing.

5. 10 acre woods

10 acre woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2017
    It took about a month for scar tissue to totally cover the wound. His wound was about 4 by 6 inches. Like Wyorp Rock said. Keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by