1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP, MY CHICKEN WAS ATTACKED BY A DOG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Peacheschic, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Peacheschic

Peacheschic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Redding Ca
    This is my first time posting here, I come on here a lot and read every ones threads and learn. But now I need help! On Saturday March 2, 2013 my Silver Laced Wyandotte was attacked by my neighbors dog! I rushed over to her and picked her up with my sweater and carried her into my house, crying the hole time! I examined her, and I couldn't find any blood. She lost some feathers, and her eyes were swollen and puffy. I have been keeping a close eye on her. Feeding her warm oatmeal, yogurt, and chick starter that's medicated. I have also made a saline solution for her eyes. After I clean up her eyes I put antibiotic ointment on both of her eyes. They were very pussy, I can tell her eyes are getting better, but I just don't know if she will ever be able to see again. I let her out in our enclosed back yard with my supervision yesterday, and she was walking around, scratching the ground and eating little things! I think that brightened her spirits! Also ever since she was attacked I have been hearing this weird crackling noise, I think it may be coming from inside of her? Any input on this is very much appreciated!

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Your poor chicken! I'm so sorry! But you seem like your taking excellent care of her! Good job! I would isolate her from the rest of your flock, just for the night, just so she doesn't need to worry about the other hens/roosters pecking on her, so she can relax and recover quickly. Maybe you could put her in a small pan filled with warm water, It would help her relax.
    Good luck! I hope I helped!

3. Peacheschic

Jan 3, 2013
    Redding Ca
    Thank you very much, I am trying my hardest! She is one of my favorite girls! I have been keeping her in my den in a large dog crate. She is not able to see, so she can't find her food or water. I'v been having to give her food and water with a spoon as much as possible. I let her walk around in the den, but she just bumps into everything! Thank you again! :)

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    is it when she breathes? Perhaps the infection spread to her lungs or upper airway. Perhaps someone can suggest an oral or subcutaneus antibiotics

5. Peacheschic

Jan 3, 2013
    Redding Ca
    Firefighter Chick that is what I think is wrong with her too! I noticed today that her nose is a little stuffy, there is stuff in her nose. Not sure how, or if I can get it out. I have been reading a lot and I think I should get Vet RX for her nose, I also read to put it under her wings. Its like vix vapor rub, but for chickens. I'm not hearing the popping or crackling noise anymore though! :) She keeps opening her mouth, but I'm not sure what that is about?! Today she slightly opened her right eye, just a little bit! Its a very small slit but its great progress in my book!!! She is still bumping into everything. She is eating if I help her. I also gave her a warm Epsom salt bath today, she loved it! I then blow dried her, and put more antibiotic ointment on both her eyes. I'm doing everything I can to keep her a live. I really don't want to have to cull her, she has become a pet! But if it comes down to it, then ill have to do it, I don't want her to suffer and be in pain. Thank you everyone who has helped!!

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    You should take pictures of the damaged bird and call the Sheriff's dept or other local animal authority and report the attack in case of future incidents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by