HELP!! My chicken was attacked!!

guth41

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
My chicken was attacked last night. Her skin has been peeled back and her muscles are clawed. She seems alert but is not drinking eating or standing. Debating on putting her down but i love her :( please help! What should i do??

Clean the wound carefully, then put some antibiotic cream like equate First Aid Antibiotic on and then put a guaze pad over that and wrap it with some ouchless bandage. I've done this to 3 of my hens when attacked by hawks and they all lived.

Thank you. I cleaned the wounds the best I could. She has Neosporin on. I don't have any gauze. It is going on midnight now if she lives through the night I have a list of meds to pick up in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Thank you. I cleaned the wounds the best I could. She has Neosporin on. I don't have any gauze. It is going on midnight now if she lives through the night I have a list of meds to pick up in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Plain Neosporin is fine if that is what you have.
Try to encourage her to drink, she can become dehydrated quickly, you can use an eye dropper or syringe to drop a few drops beside her beak, they will usually take it in. Sometimes it's a little slow going.

How's she doing this morning? Can you post a picture?

One of my girls was being eaten alive on her back by a hawk when I found her. I was in the house and heard this strange sound coming from the backyard. When I went outside I saw the hawk had her penned down to the ground and was eating away. All she could do was cry out this loud sound. I've not forgotten that sound. Months ago I heard that same sound coming from my neighbors backyard across the road and down the street. I knew his chicken was being attack by a hawk or something. It's the only time I've heard a chicken make that kind of sound.

I also put 81 mg aspirin in a grape tomato for my rooster when he hurt his leg. He's doing fine now. Maybe you could give her one for pain.

I have pics but I can't figure out how to post them. She is alive. She drank a little water and has not eaten. I was wondering about giving her an antibiotic?? I was going to add some electrolytes to her water when I got home and use a dropper. What do u think of softening some food? I never thought of a hawk and I think you nailed with that! My poor girl is soo strong. When I found her she was hiding under the porch.

Right side

Right side close up

Left side

Left side close up

I have pics but I can't figure out how to post them. She is alive. She drank a little water and has not eaten. I was wondering about giving her an antibiotic?? I was going to add some electrolytes to her water when I got home and use a dropper. What do u think of softening some food? I never thought of a hawk and I think you nailed with that! My poor girl is soo strong. When I found her she was hiding under the porch.
IMO antibiotics are not needed unless you start to see signs of infection, pus, odor, etc.

They generally will heal very well with just keeping the wound clean and applying the ointment.

Electrolytes/vitamins in the water certainly won't hurt and wetting her food would be fine. You can also give her tuna, salmon, scrambled or hard boiled egg.

Back
Top Bottom