Help!!! My chicken went broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TGreenhut, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    This morning I was out taking care of my hens (I have no roosters) and my white rock would not get off her egg. Everytime I go to try to reach her egg, she makes a screeching noise and opens her beak really wide! How do I break her broodiness??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Use a dog crate, preferably the wire kind. She needs to get air flow under her backside. Put her in it without any bedding material at all. Just food and water. Keep her isolated that way until she snaps outta it.

3. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Thanks, I'll try![​IMG]

4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Well aren't you LUCKY!! Me I would seperate her also in a dog crate. but I would give her a couple fake eggs or perhaps a golf ball or two and let her sit for a couple weeks. then in the middle of the night take out the fakes and slip her a couple of day olds from the feed store! yep that is what I would do, read, did ;-)

5. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Quote:Hahaha thanks but I have a couple of 3 week olds, are they too old to give to her?

6. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Hummm I don't know if she has been broody long enough... worth a VERY supervised try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by