Help!! My chicken won’t put any weight on her leg!

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
My 2 year old barred rock hen won’t put any weight on one of her legs. I first noticed just 30 minutes ago when I went out to see my girls, and I saw that she was laying down.

I felt her leg and foot, but I didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary, but at the same time, I don’t know what exactly to feel for.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine, and was even acting like her usual self, just quieter and hopping around on one foot. No closed eyes, no heavy panting. She was even digging at the ground with her beak when I found her like it wasn’t a big deal. She even nipped me a little when I put her in the coop to rest, as per usual, with her being rather territorial with the coop.

The one time before a chicken was limping around, it was a broken blood feather, and she healed up fine, but I have no clue why my girl may be hurting.

Could it be that she pulled a muscle? Could it be something worse? Im very worried and concerned for her.

You need to take a very close look from toe to as far up as possible to see if any wounds or deviations from the straightness of the limb.

Without pics or video it would be impossible to speculate. My young rooster tore a toe nail off and was limping around.

Look, feel, compare to the other leg. Get someone to help you. This is were your observations come in.

You need to take a very close look from toe to as far up as possible to see if any wounds or deviations from the straightness of the limb.

Without pics or video it would be impossible to speculate. My young rooster tore a toe nail off and was limping around.

Look, feel, compare to the other leg. Get someone to help you. This is were your observations come in.
I did just that when I first saw her limping. At first, I thought that she could have stepped on something painful, and when I get it out, she’ll be fine (albeit unamused with me causing pain)

Absolutely no outward injuries. I felt up and down her leg and foot to see if I’ll catch any blood, where I could then track the injury, but nothing came up. I didn’t feel anything different either, even after comparing to her good leg.

My mom wants me to just let her rest, and see if she feels any different tomorrow, but I really don’t think that will solve anything :C

Chickens injure themselves from jumping from roosts, or from a rough rooster. It might be a sprain. Look for green bruising, swelling, cuts, or redness along the whole leg up to the hip. Look for a bumblefoot scab on the footpad. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? Is she holding the leg up to her body? Make sure that she can get to her food and water. Sometimes forcing rest for a few days may help. Meloxicam from a vet or aspirin 1/2 81 mg tablet twice a day can sometimes help.

Chickens injure themselves from jumping from roosts, or from a rough rooster. It might be a sprain. Look for green bruising, swelling, cuts, or redness along the whole leg up to the hip. Look for a bumblefoot scab on the footpad. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently? Is she holding the leg up to her body? Make sure that she can get to her food and water. Sometimes forcing rest for a few days may help. Meloxicam from a vet or aspirin 1/2 81 mg tablet twice a day can sometimes help.
Considering Olive (chicken in question) tends to be very rough and rowdy with everything, I wouldn’t be surprised if she hurt herself on absolutely nothing. She once even scabbed up her beak on the wire of the coop because she wouldn’t stop rubbing on it while in there. That being said, I would have a hard time trying to get her to take it easy, since she always has to be doing something, like scratch around, or chase a lizard, etc.

With introducing new birds, no, I have not brought any new birds to the flock. The last chicken to enter the flock was over a year 1/2 ago, and she was a resident of the backyard as an egg.

Considering Olive (chicken in question) tends to be very rough and rowdy with everything, I wouldn’t be surprised if she hurt herself on absolutely nothing. She once even scabbed up her beak on the wire of the coop because she wouldn’t stop rubbing on it while in there. That being said, I would have a hard time trying to get her to take it easy, since she always has to be doing something, like scratch around, or chase a lizard, etc.

With introducing new birds, no, I have not brought any new birds to the flock. The last chicken to enter the flock was over a year 1/2 ago, and she was a resident of the backyard as an egg.
Well if she is really active she could have sprained her leg. If she wants to rest I would encourage it. Put food and water near her so she doesn't have to move.

Of course if she won't and would be more stressed forcing her to rest then I would let her be.

Just keep any eye on her good leg it doesn't become injured from over use.

Well if she is really active she could have sprained her leg. If she wants to rest I would encourage it. Put food and water near her so she doesn't have to move.

Of course if she won't and would be more stressed forcing her to rest then I would let her be.

Just keep any eye on her good leg it doesn't become injured from over use.
Got it :)! She’s much less active today, and is currently resting in the dark and quiet nesting areas. A vet appointment is scheduled for her leg, as she doesn’t even want to walk much anymore, and just tucks her leg up into her feathers.

I really appreciate the advice and help. I haven’t once had to deal with leg injuries aside from the rare blood feather, and since I’m very bonded to Olive, I’m concerned about her health.

How is Olive today?
She seems to not be doing any better today. She doesn’t walk (unless she’s chased away or bothered) and prefers to hide away in the bushes. She’s still very much responsive and willing to eat/drink, and is wide awake most of the time. I spent 30-45 minutes with her this morning, stroking her gently and talking to her. She eventually moved to the coop, where she is now resting in the nesting boxes.

She seems to not be doing any better today. She doesn’t walk (unless she’s chased away or bothered) and prefers to hide away in the bushes. She’s still very much responsive and willing to eat/drink, and is wide awake most of the time. I spent 30-45 minutes with her this morning, stroking her gently and talking to her. She eventually moved to the coop, where she is now resting in the nesting boxes.
Sounds like she is taking it easy at least.

Well keep us apprised of her Vet visit, hopefully it's just something that time will cure.

Back
Top Bottom