HELP!!! My chicken wont eat, drink, or move!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maiersboxers, Nov 25, 2014.

1. maiersboxers

maiersboxers New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Two days ago I let my chickens out of their coop in order to eat some grass and run around. I have a white Silkie that's about seven months old and he's at the top of the pecking order. He's always the leader of the flock and constantly struts around tall and proud. I came outside an hour after I let them out and saw him lying in the grass. He's one of my only birds that run as fast away as they can when they see me, but for some reason he didn't. He just continued to lay there. I came outside a few ours later to find him in the same spot so I picked him up and put him by him food and water in case he wanted any. I just received some new chickens and they tend to wander away from the coop, so every night I go and put them inside. As I had stated above, my cockerel is always one to lead the rest so I became confused when I found him lying on the ground of the coop for the first time, instead of up top perching with the pullets.

I went outside again last night to find him doing the exact same thing and I began to wonder if he had a broken wing. I asked my mom if she would keep an eye out for him when I'm not home and make sure that no one overly bothers him. I came home this afternoon to find him lying in the coop. When I went to go pick him up, his body was completely stiff and for a moment I thought that he may have been dead. When I noticed him blinking I decided to bring him inside thinking maybe that he had caught something from the cold, seeing as how its going on winter around here. I called my mom and she had told me that when he went to walk down the ramp this morning and out of the cage, he had fallen right off and onto the ground. From what I think, I don't believe that he has had anything to eat nor drink since Sunday and I'm beginning to get worried. If no one can help me find out whats wrong with him, then I at least hope that someone can tell me how to be able to hand feed and water him. He was the very first chicken Ive ever had so as you can tell I'm new to raising them. He's the only one out of the flock that's going through these symptoms so I don't believe that (If he is sick) he received it from any of my other birds.

[​IMG]
    He was lying in this position when I found him this afternoon and hasn't moved an
    inch expect to blink and breath.

[​IMG]
    Here's a slightly closer up picture. I don't notice anything other than his behavior
    that has changed. By the way, I know he doesn't look like a normal silkie.
    We received him when he was a chick simply as a pet. He's been with me ever since.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do you by any chance have any other Roosters ( young or old in your current flock ) ? He is looking depressed..and maybe another is challenging his position in the pecking order...

3. maiersboxers

maiersboxers New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    We do actually, but its strange. My other Rooster only ever is around one of the other hens and they're almost always at the very opposite side of the yard. That of course is until night when they're inside the coop. I had thought that everything was going fine seeing as how the other male is quite timid and leaves everyone else go. But your guess would make sense. If this is the case do you have any idea how to solve this? Just remove the second male from the pen maybe?

4. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If you want to feed him...I suggest you look at casportpony's instructions as how to tube feed a sick chicken...on second thoughts I will ask caspoertpony to post here or contact you to explain...hang in there ! Help will be forthcoming for your cute Silkie....

5. maiersboxers

maiersboxers New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Thank you so much! I really do appreciate all of the help.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take him to a vet?

If he hasn't had anything to drink since Sunday, he needs to have fluids tubed to him, ASAP or he will probably die. He also needs to be kept in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal. DO NOT FORCE FEED him until he has had lots of water!

Check out this thread and let me know if you can get a tube and syringe. If you can't get a proper tube, you can use a piece of modified aquarium air line, but you will need a 30-60ml syringe.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have sent a pm to casportpony ..she is wonderful at giving instructions in how to tube feed...

In response to your latest post...it may well be worth keeping the second Rooster away from the main flock for now...keep him away for a few days and see how your Silkie Roo behaves..Silkies are not very aggressive towards an outside Roo...they are normally passive unless they feel threatened...and then see the sparks fly....

Hope you resolve this issue very soon...casportpony is incredible with their advice...hope your Silkie gets back to being himself very soon!

8. maiersboxers

maiersboxers New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Thank you Suzie for messaging her.

Casportpony- So I just found out from my Mom that when she had gone outside to work this morning, she had seen my Silkie eating and drinking. I just got home about four hours ago and he hasn't touched a thing yet and I'm not sure if he will seeing as how it seems his condition has worsened. I do have a syringe that Ill try to give him some water with now. Thank you as well and Ill keep you updated.

9. maiersboxers

maiersboxers New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Okay, so I just took an attempt at giving him some water but he isn't responding to me. I tried putting a drop on the tip of his beak hoping that maybe he would then try to actually drink. I then tried to open his beak but he continually shook his head to get his beak closed. I don't want to use too much force simply because I don't wish to hurt him. I'm starting to wonder if maybe his wing is actually broken. His right wing is dropping down lower than the left like he's just casually lying with them spread out instead of keeping it tucked in. But would he be showing these symptoms if this was just a broken wing? And I also don't understand how he could have acquired it.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Syringing water is dangerous... a 2 pound bird needs about 90 ml of water per day (30 ml every 6-8 hours). There is no way to safely get that into him with just a syringe.

Your best bet is to take him to a vet.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by