1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

HELP my chickens are dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critter, Jun 18, 2010.

1. critter

critter In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    SE OKC
    my chickens are dying! they were fine last night and now today i have found 3 dead........2 wfbs and my single st. wht cochin. There ARE More that are looking horrible. head hangin, lethargic. i am noticing blood in diarhea. most affected are my pullets and a few cockerals. they are now almost 3 mo old. there are no swellings, injuries. i have wormed them. i have only these chickens together that i got all at one time as chicks. they were vaccinated too. the only other birds i have are turkeys which are no kept in the same area. as far as i know they have no been exposed to anything. geeshhhhhhhh...........anyway, any ideas? they are under shade so they arent getting too hot. i did switch over to pellet in place of crumbles this past week. that is about the only chg i can think of. what the heck is going on?????? if i lose these birds i will not be doing this again! thanks all and i hope i post this in the right place.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Best guess is coccidiosis. Treat them with Sulmet or Corrid (available at your farm/feed supply usually). Works pretty fast, too, assuming that's the problem. If your flock isn't perking up in a couple of days, you'll need to look for a different answer, but I'd try this first.

3. critter

critter In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    SE OKC
    Quote:THANK YOU. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, ISNT THE SULMET AND CORID PUT IN WATER? THE ONES WHO ARE LETHARGIC WONT DRINK. SHOULD I GIVE THEM OR FORCE THEM TO DRINK?

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

Yes, give it via eyedropper, just go slowly so they don't choke. You'll need to do that every hour or so. Those drugs work pretty fast. Withing 24 hours, birds should at least be back to drinking on their own.

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

maybe you switched feed too quickly. you're supposed to mix them slowly. sorry about it.

6. mamaluv321

mamaluv321 In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Sounds just like what I've been dealing with, bloody watery poos. Fairly sure it's cocci, I've been using sulmet for 3 days now and see a huge improvement. I've also been giving yogurt along with adding 2 tbls of ACV to the gallon that I mix the sulmet in, chickens LOVED it! Good luck, and don't freak out if they get a bloated crop like I did, the meds will work!

7. critter

critter In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    SE OKC
    So I did get to the feede store and got what they had which was sulmet. We totally removed all the chickens in the pen, bleached it down, bleached waterer and feeder and everything in the pen. We mixed up the sulmet, gave some by dropper to the ones who were the worse. This morning I found 3 more dead and there are about 4 more who are looking bad. Did the whole bleach thing again, mixed sulmet again and gave. Still found bloody, stools. These chickens were almost 3 months old. I got them from mcmurray and had 13 pullets and 12 males. Today I have 9 males and 7 girls left. Most of the girls are the ones who are sick. I cross my fingers I do not lose them all. After losing everything last yr in the fires, it is so hard to see this happen when I had doubts as to starting up again in the first place. And I thought i was doing it all good, not bringing anything new or strange into the chickens area..........If I lost many more I have decided not to get anymore chickens. I will jsut keep what survives and let them hang on the property. ok enough whinning.........thank you all for the advice and I will keep youi posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by