1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help my chickens are eating their eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vicki98, Nov 2, 2011.

1. vicki98

vicki98 New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    I have 6 ckickens and only one is laying right now. Just found an empty shell. Last week I started giving calcium supplement, they are well fed an watered. How do I keep them from eating the eggs? Vicki

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Are you sure its the chickens? The reason I ask is because, in my experience, when my chickens have eaten an egg I usually only find some residue from the yolk. When I had a problem with mice, I would find empty shells that had been licked clean. Where do your chickens typically lay? Is it in a place where the eyes could get broken like from high up or on the floor? Maybe your chicken has been laying soft shell eggs and that's why they're eating them? I've heard you can blow out an egg and fill it with mustard to discourage egg eating, but my chooks have never had any issue eating something that had mustard on it. IMO- the only way to know 100%if that the birds can't get to their eggs is to build some roll away nestboxes. If they were mine I would spend some time at the coop when you have a chance to see if you can catch whoever is doing it. Good luck....

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    try putting and leaving wooden eggs in the box or golfballs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by