Help! My chickens are ganging up on my chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rainy78, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Rainy78

Rainy78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Georgia
    Hello! Really worried about my chickens. I have 5 total chickens. The oldest one (by 4 months) who has been the "head" chicken as recently been targeted by my other chickens. She does not appear to be sick, bleeding etc. She has been escaping the chicken run b/c the are outright attacking her. I've never had issues with them until now. They are all close to a year old. Can someone please tell me what could be the possible issues? If she seemed sick or hurt I could totally understand. I let them free range for about 4 hours a day so I don't think they are stir crazy. Any suggestions are welcomed as "Sweetie" is my last Easter Egger and my favorite chicken. We are totally bummed right now.

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Chickens can hide disease (being sick) farely well.
    Lots of time they will fight if there is very little space,or not enough foid,nor water.

Separate her immediately!

3. Rainy78

Apr 2, 2014
    Georgia
    I went out side and watched them and it appears that only 2 of the other hens are attacking her. The other two are leaving her alone. Does that mean anything?

4. Rainy78

Apr 2, 2014
    Georgia
    I also just noticed that Sweetie just had a very watery stool--kinda clear/milky colored. Is that a sign of anything?

5. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It can mean something,but often their just hydrated.Try giving her water.
    You could also be dealing with cocci.It's common with chicks,but since you have notice,noemal behavior,I doubt it.
    Since two chicks stoppes,it sounds as if she has made it clear to those two,she ia the dominant one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by