1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My chickens are losing their feathers on their heads and faces!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnsm, Feb 17, 2014.

1. johnsm

johnsm New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    I have a young chicken that is losing her feathers on her head and around her eyes. One of her eyes is very red around the edges and her eye looks sick. At first I thought she was just being picked on, but the bald spots have spread. I think another chicken may be starting to lose some feathers on her face also. I don't see any signs of mites in the chicken coop. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing their feathers to fall out of their heads, and around their eyes?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they? That is the area that molting is supposed to start.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Check their head area for mites, they will be very tiny. Use a magnifying glass if you have to. You might also have a feather picker.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    When you say her eye looks sick, can you describe what you mean in more detail, or perhaps share a photo with us? That is a red flag, to me.

As far as the feather loss, do you notice any white areas on her skin at all? There are a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head for feather loss on the head. Molting, lice/mites, being picked on by other chickens (this may account for her red eye, or not), favus, or possibly a more serious illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by