1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my chickens are stuck!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dbolman, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    :pOkay I am new to this site..this should be fun!! I have 6 chickens: 2 bantams, a silkie, a barred rock, a buff O and a silver wyandotte rooster. Just for the record they were all suppose to be hens!! But over cereal one morning I heard the loudest "Cock-A-Doodle Doo" and realized just why my Silver wyandotte "hen" was so huge....thus a rooster. So I figured I can live with one rooster and he is very handsome and friendly but now it turns out my silkie is a rooster too..All that work this Spring and I am down to 4 hens. Anyway I turned my children's playhouse/treehouse into a fancy coop. It has a ramp that goes to the top where there are nesting boxes for them. Every night they head to the top no problem..but they won't come back down! I have a door at the top so I can clean and check their boxes (no eggs yet) Anyway I have to let them out of the top or they just stay up there. BUT I don't want them loose all the time so they need to go down the ramp to stay in their coop . What should I do?

Also I let them free range around our farm. But they have no limits ; they love to go out in the cornfields all day so if they were having eggs I would have my own personal easter egg hunt. Do I have to keep them locked in to get my eggs?

Question 3? Should I keep both roosters? Will roosters breed a different breed from their own so I will get mixed breed chicks in the spring...

2. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    maybe when you lock them in at night you throw down some scratch so they'll come down. Some people leave their girls locked in till a certain time so they get eggs first. my free rangers prefer to come home and lay eggs then go play again. Security maybe? I haven't found any stray eggs anywhere. I let them out around 7am and they return when it's time. I've been told it should be roughly 1 roo per 8 hen ratio or something to prevent overmating. poor hens take a beating if there are more than that. And yes, roos mate any hen-even bantums! Good luck and have fun!

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

First, [​IMG] !!!

How high is this treehouse/play house. The chickens should be able to fly down from quite a height. If they do this would they not be in their enclosure? I would love to see some pictures.

I have a couple of little nest boxes made of small pet crates in the coop, as well as an outdoor nestbox made out of a plastic dog house. They seem to like dark cave-like places to lay in.

4. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    [​IMG]I will take a picture for you and try to attach it. I really like how it turned out (coop) Especially with all the flowers blooming around and up it. They can definately fly down but then they are not in the enclosure. I am going to have my hubbie cut the whole bigger. Which rooster should I keep. They are both friendly so far. The Silver Wyandotte Rooster is big and LOUD and the silkie (confetti) is very pretty and has a deranged cock a doodle do,it sounds like he has strep throat. He has occasionally gave the kids a pretty good warning but only when prevoked. He has never bothered me. The chicks would be pretty cute if I kept the silkie. I can't believe all the chicken enthusiasts out there; crazy..Do frizzle's lay eggs?

Hmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by