HELP!! My chickens aren't able to keep their heads up!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HorseLady1, Aug 30, 2014.

1. HorseLady1

HorseLady1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    I have 2 silver laced chickens, one pullet and one cockerel. Now 3 days ago everything was fine... Then yesterday they started shaking and wobbling a bit. Now they are dragging their heads around, they can eat and drink still, and they can walk. But, I'm very worried! [​IMG] Please say it is not something too severe! They are still doing okay, but is there anything I can do to help them recover? I do have a duck pond in there, but we are currently moving it. And they are provided shade, food, and clean water. There are many other chickens in there and ducks, and so far they are the only ones to seem affected by it. PLEASE! I'm VERY worried and have searched about 20 pages into the search results to find nothing that really resembles this! Please, help me... I don't want them to die. [​IMG]

2. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    May be Botulism poisoning. (also called Limber Neck) Red alert, if that is it, a crop flush may save them . Can you search for that and find how to do the treatment?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are they? Any new birds added to the flock lately? Coccidiosis could be a possibility since they can walk. It makes them weak, lethargic, stand around puffed up with neck pulled back into neck, and diarrhea with or without blood is common. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water .
    Botulism causes a paralyzed neck, but the paralysis starts in the legs, then wings, then neck.
    Wry neck can cause the neck to be stuck down, twisted to the side, or looking over the head. That is caused by either a head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or from brain inflammation from certain diseases. Here are a couple of links to read about coccidiosis, botulism, and wry neck:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. HorseLady1

HorseLady1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    They are about 3 and 1/2 months old, and no new ones have been recently added. Their poop looks fine (I put them in a separate area, just incase) and they aren't puffed up. Their necks are actually hanging, like they can't move it, so I think it is wry neck... I can't be sure though. It seems like wry neck.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get them on some vitamins right away. The important ones are thiamine (B1) vitamin E, and selenium. You can give the vitamins separately, or give a vitamin supplement such as PolyVisol without iron 3 drops by mouth daily. Vitamins for poultry in the water work fine also, but give some selenium (40 micrograms daily) or give some eggs or canned tuna that contain selenium. The second link in post # 2 has vitamin dosages.

6. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    I would put some vitamins in their water and give it to them in a syringe. I would also mix their food with water and see if they eat it. Most chickens love the food. I would also suggest separating them so if it is contagious, the rest of your flock will be safe.

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Somewhere on this forum I saw something similar to those symptoms... She used apple cider vinegar, yogurt and a few other simple things. I'll try to find it and quote it here. Sounds very similar.

8. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    If your chicken has a crop impactation, then apple cider vinegar helps. If they have one though, they would be off balance.

9. hennible

"HELP! What is wrong? Droopy wing, beak down, Pictures.."
    Search those words, see if it's the same problem sorry I don't know how to link you to the thread.

10. hennible

The person postings name is " kathyinmo "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by