Help! My chickens aren't laying!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kaylabee, Mar 28, 2017.

1. kaylabee

kaylabee New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Okay! So I am new to this site! We have had chickens for a little over year, March the 3rd of last year actually, I have 6 hens, all RIR! My hens have not laid at all! I have tried everything! Literally everything.. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kaylabee, and welcome to BYC! It's great to have you aboard. I have no idea why you haven't seen any eggs in a year from your chickens. You should have been swimming in eggs months ago, provided your hens are healthy and well-fed and cared for. Other possibilities since I really don't know your set up....could they be laying somewhere you aren't finding them? Could something (even a person) be stealing them? Did you get them as chicks? Or as adults? Sometimes a person lacking scruples will unload old hens that are out of production. I am sorry I don't have a reason for you but that's all I can think of. I hope you don't give up on chickens!

3. kaylabee

kaylabee New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    We got them as babies, we have a very nice set up for them, they are in a 30x30 pin, they have a house and nesting boxes, there is a roof over it, the pin is double wired so nothing can get in, and also tin under the dirt along the sides so nothing can dig its way in.. I also suspected maybe the kids down the road were maybe taking them since I have caught them opening my pin and letting my chickens out, so we put a chain and lock on it.. Still nothing. They eat laying pellets, I give them fresh fruits and veggies daily, I give them fresh water daily.. I am just to the point to where I'm beginning to think they are broke? Or free loaders? lol

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest cutting out the fresh fruit / veg and only giving them layers pellets. It's a long shot, but additional foods can sometimes upset the balanced diet provided by proprietary feed. Like redsoxs, it seems very odd that you are not getting eggs.

All the best
    CT

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kaylabee [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to provide any advice as to why your hens are not laying yet but I do hope that they are not "broken" and surprise you very soon.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    are you certain they are hens ? Some breeds have big combs on both sexes. If you would like - you can post photos of them at "what breed or gender is this." I would really keep an eye on those kids.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since they aren't laying, they don't need to be on layer feed. Maybe you could switch to grower instead , for now.

8. kaylabee

kaylabee New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

I'm 100% they're all girls, lol here's one of them

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

That's a mystery...I can't think of reasons other than the ones already suggested. Best of luck figuring this one out!

10. kaylabee

kaylabee New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    I guess I'll swap them to another feed.. I just don't think they need to be on grower, I mean they're like fully matured.. minus the whole egg laying thing.. but I'll try it, and I'll stop giving them fruits and vegetables.. maybe something will happen.. thank you all for your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by