Help my chickens ate fertilizer - are the eggs good?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rogerf, Jun 6, 2010.

1. rogerf

rogerf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Yesterday my flock of 10 RIR's broke out of their run and wandered over to an area I had just fertilized with Scott turf builder.
    I never let them graze in this area.
    By the time I realized they were out and got to them I saw that they were eating the fertilizer pellets.
    My first worry was for their health but they are showing no signs of illness.
    Today when I went to retrieve eggs a couple of eggs had white powder and staining on them...I assume it's the fertilizer.
    I threw them all out but now I am worried about future eggs and potential health safety.
    Has this ever happened to anyone and how long before the eggs will be safe to eat?
    I have customers that buy the eggs and I certainly do not want to sell problem eggs.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Roger

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My vet usually says at least a month, some say only 2 weeks. I'd rather err on the side of caution, especially when selling eggs to others.
    We stopped all fertilizers and weedkillers when we bought this place in 2004, but I can't even verify what the previous owners did.

Beef up that run meantime, if they can get out, no telling what can get in!

3. rogerf

rogerf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    I was reading the package and there are no warnings of toxicity.
    I will be calling Scotts today for more information.
    This fertilizer had no pesticides or anti-fungal treatments so I am hoping that the four weeks will suffice.
    As a side note - the run is closed, the door was not latched and the flock took advantage.
    thanks for the help and advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by