HELP! My chickens ate floral beads (clear water gel pearls)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MisterGerlich, Oct 17, 2016.

1. MisterGerlich

MisterGerlich New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Houston, Texas
    Hello,

I have four hens aged 6 months to 1 year, and I recently had a situation where a fair amount of clear water gel pearls were scattered across my lawn. My chickens, being the curious little birds they are, proceeded to peck at the gel balls, and possibly eat them. I am not sure if they actually ate them, but they were highly interested in them at several different times of the day, so I'm betting they ate some.

My question is this: It's been roughly 24 hours since this took place, and none of the chickens appear to be sick or weak, but I am concerned about their health. I have read stories about children and dogs swallowing massive amounts of these gel balls and having to have them surgically removed.

Is there any way to tell if my chickens ingested these balls? And if so, is there anything I can do for the chickens? I am not sure what they taste like, all I know about them is they expand up to 200 times their original size. I am pretty sure the balls had previously been submerged in water, so likely they were fully expanded, but I still worry.

Any advice from you guys?

Thanks in advance,
    Kyle

2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    I've heard about that as well. My dog are one once and nothing happened and I used to play with them when I was little. Most likely if it's been that long they should be fine. I don't think they taste like anything and maybe check poops to seeing you can find gel in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by