1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! My chickens have lice or mites!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chquinta, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Chquinta

Chquinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    i went out to the coop yesterday and decided to take a look at them as too why there are not laying eggs consistently. I've been reading every post on here and came across lice and mites. So I went to check them and on my new 20 week old chickens I seen little beige brown bugs crawling around I've tried checking my old laying flock but can't see any on them but they are all in the same pin. Also I changed out the bedding in the nesting
    boxes and there was like little red looks bugs crawling on the box. Not a lot just 2-3 in each box. What do I need to do to treat them fast.

2. gtwallichs

gtwallichs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    I've read on here that Diatomaceous Earth is used to treat the mites and lice. You sprinkle it all around and they will kill the lice and mites. I hope this helps.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can get a permethrin/pyrethrin dust or spray from most feed stores, usually called oupoultry dust. You can use Admas flea and tick spray, available at WalMart or your vet's, and probably lots of other places. You can use 5% Sevin garden dust.

You need to spray or dust all the birds. You also need to change out the litter in the coop, and spray it with something like Sevin garden spray or one of the other sprays. Then you eed to repeat the whole process in 10 days to kill the new bugs which have hatched, as these treatments don't kill the eggs.

For help in future control, use wood ash in your dust baths.

You may be advised to use DE, which will give some knock down, but will not kill an infestation.

Here are some links for more information:

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818674/are-these-some-kind-of-egg-clusters#post_11897957

4. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    I bought the safer brand of DE at my feed store as I'm reading all the post with lice and mites that's not the right kind so I'll have to take it back. So I'll go and buy the right DE and some Sevin and dust all the chicks with it and we are in the process of remodeling the coop so I'll spray that in there while I'm cleaning it out.. Is it ok to use the spray from Walmart and the dust at the same time.

5. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Sorry for some reason the app byc won't let me open links it just takes me to a blank page every time.

6. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    [​IMG]

Can I use this on them I bought it for my dog..

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    DE is expensive and unnecessary, expecially if you are going to use Sevin which I have used for years. I assume you'll use the spray on the coop. Just air it out well before letting the chicks back in.
    And be sure to get the underside of the roosts as there is one type of parasite that lives there during the day.

8. Chquinta

Jan 9, 2015
    Moss Hill, Texas
    Yes that stuff is expensive I was gonna use it the spears around the nesting boxes and coop when I'm done and they are rid of the lice and mites. I was going to buy the sevin to dust them and the spare to clean the coop. Is that spray I showed a pic of good to spray on the chickens as well or should I buy the brand you mentioned.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You'd need to check out the ingredients. I'm not familiar with the first ingredient, but I believe the rest would be OK. I know people do use dog and cat flea medicine on chickens, I just dont know a lot about it, whether they are all OK or whether some might be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by