HELP! My chickens have red mites, can I dust the 3 wk old chicks???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fiddlehead, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    HI, I found one of my new 4 month old chickens to have red mites. I also have ten 3 week old chicks. Can I dust the babies with permethrin poultry dust? What is the youngest age you can use the dust on chickens? I bathed the infested chicken with cat flea and tick shampoo, and once she dries I will dust her. Then, I must do the whole coop....ugh.. I HATE BUGS!!!!

2. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    Wow, no replies.... the chick died, thanks for any help!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I am sorry you lost your chick. I don't have any experience with mites as I am relativly new to chickens but I hope you get everything under control before you lose anyone else. Have you seen them on any of the other chickens? Do you think it was the flea and tick shampoo that killed the chick?

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I didn't see this thread till now or I would have replied earlier. Bugs don't normally kill that fast so I would question the shampoo also? Was it Adams? I have used seven dust on month old chicks with no problems. I just put in on them in pinches and rubbed it in some. I would not bathe any more of them and just dust.
    sharon

5. Fiddlehead

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    The 4 month old died after not eating and drinking for a few days. I was feeding it with a dropper for the past two days - mashed up banana, honey and yogurt diluted in H2O. This morning, I was holding it and giving it the dropper when I saw a tiny red mite on my hand. I feel stupid for not thinking that she may be infested with a bug. I checked my other chickens in the coop and some had the mites. I treated all of them today. I have ten 3 week old chicks in a brooder inside, I thought I should treat them just in case. They live a few feet from where I kept the sick chicken for a few days. I do have Adams and will spray them lightly I think tomw. I am so sad, she was a beautiful buff silkie. I feel like I failed her and she could have lived if I had thought of mites 2 days ago. : (

6. nancyriverchick

nancyriverchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    So sorry, you did the best you knew.

7. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I'm so sorry....never easy losing a little chick.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can't catch everything. I have a bantam hen that was egg bound for possibly four days before I stopped what I was doing, turned her up and checked her out. At least you try. There are so many who just toss them to the side saying oh well that one died.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by