Help! My chickens have tapeworm...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SonoranChick, Oct 21, 2017.

1. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Hi, I'm hoping to get some good advice as to the best treatment for tapeworm. I am so upset that we have this gross problem :( I keep a very clean and dry coop. From everything I have read (and boy, have I read A LOT) it seems that the most effective option is Valbazen dewormer. Has anyone used this? I have ten hens, all are a healthy weight and none of them appear to be acting ill in any way. I found the tapeworm segments in my golden comet's droppings, from what I have read this indicates a massive load of worms and she should be wasting away? Luckily she is not, but I want to take care of this issue ASAP. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Eggcessive likes this.
  2. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    EquiMAX horse paste. Dose would be is 0.16 ml per five pounds. You can get this at TSC
    1000.jpg

The Phantom, Christii, PennyM and 3 others like this.
  3. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Thanks for replying! Should I go ahead and treat the whole flock? I'm heading to the feed store as soon as they open.

4. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yes, always treat the whole flock at once. Good luck

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tapeworm is fairly rare in chickens, and it can be very hard to completely get rid of permanently. They are spread by an intermediate host, such as flies, fleas, snails, and slugs. So keeping those away can help with control. The Equimax is good. Here is some reading about tapes:
    https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/tape-worms-or-cestodes/
    http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/parasite-control-in-poultry.aspx
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/helminthiasis/overview-of-helminthiasis-in-poultry

6. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Thank you! This is so helpful! I have a feeling it came from the ants or the flies, as we had a massive outbreak of both this summer. I also read that it was a bit rare in chickens, and mine are only 20 weeks so I just can't believe they managed to get tapeworms. Poor girls. The segments are like something out of a bad sci-fi movie :sick

7. Arya28

Arya28 Songster

Apr 9, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hello! I know many will recommend conventional worming medication here, and that's fine if that's what you want to do. But if you want to take a natural approach to it, I recommend pumpkin seeds. We treated an awful worm infestation in our dogs with them. They work on dogs, people, chickens- pretty well everything. They aren't toxic, and they work by paralyzing the worms to make them drop off the intestinal wall, and killing the eggs. You might have to treat them a few times to ensure you get all the eggs flushed out. You can read about it here, under "raw pumpkin seeds". You will get many you say the only way is the conventional way, but pumpkin seeds have been proven to work for me (and many others) over and over again. Plus, they aren't toxic. I hope this helps! :)

HeidiEmbrey likes this.
  8. Arya28

Arya28 Songster

Apr 9, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    If I were you I would blend them up with some pumpkin and feed it to her, they go crazy for them! I would use seeds from an actual pumpkin if you can, rather than the ones at the store.

9. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Hi and thanks for responding! I'll take all the help I can get over here lol. I have been giving the girls one of those little pie pumpkins weekly since they are in season. They absolutely love them...meat, seeds and all! It is their favorite snack and lasts all day. This is another reason that I was so surprised to see the nasty little segments in their poo. I thought I had been naturally deworming them this whole time. I really do not want to use chemicals or medicine. I have tried ACV, garlic (which I'm now reading is bad for chickens? So much conflicting info out there...), DE, and of course the pumpkins. I wish so badly these natural remedies worked for me, because I hate the thought of having to toss their eggs for a while if I use broad spectrum deworming meds. I also hate the thought of my girls having worms! :barnie

10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Did you have a fecal exam done before and after the seed usage?

21hens-incharge and sourland like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by