HELP my chickens insides are coming out.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenmama125, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Chickenmama125

Chickenmama125 New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    peoria il
    My2 year old easter egger was egg bound so i gave her a bath and she finally passed i but now it looks like her insides are coming out. I have put hemorrhoidal pads on her vent and tried to push them back inside but she keeps pushing them out. What can i do?[​IMG]

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC!

Try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath, hopefully this will help with some of the inflammation. You may want to try hemorrhoid cream or honey to help reduce the swelling. Offer her some extra calcium (crushed Tums or give liquid calcium). Then try to push it back in. You may need to repeat the steps a few times.

If it keeps coming out, keep the tissue moist with the cream or honey, you don't want it to dry out.

Make sure she is staying hydrated well. It won't hurt to give her some poultry vitamins if you have them.

Here is a good article with photos and steps to take:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

1 person likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Put some honey or Preparation H cream on the prolapse. Pads only have witch hazel in them, and is not as effective in shrinking the tissue. The red tissue also needs to be kept moist either with the honey or cream, or even vaseline to keep it from drying out and dying. Try to push the red tissue inside with your fingers. Even if it comes back out, repeat this, and hopefully it will eventually stay in. A daily soak in warm Epsom salts water or soapy water can keep her vent area clean. Make sure that she is able to pass droppings and is not egg bound. Offer her some water and food. Keep her isolated.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hey Wyorp Rock you beat me to it! Have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG]

Hi Kim! [​IMG] Merry Christmas!

7. Chickenmama125

Chickenmama125 New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    peoria il
    Thank you for your help. I will get some salts to soak her in and give it a try with the cream. The parts that have come out are dark and hard this morning. I am afraid it is dying. What do i need to do if it dries up and wont stay back in?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the parts dry out and turn black, then they can be dying. They will likely slough off, and there may be damage to the cloaca where the bowel and oviduct come together. The daily soaks and washing the darkened area with a cloth to rub off the dead area can be helpful. Sometimes more bowel is expelled, and many of these chickens will need to be put down. Give it some time, and do what you think is best for her. Most farmers used to just cull chickens right away that did this, since it can happen again. Some backyard owners have had luck in getting the chicken back to a normal life, so it's always worth a try. And welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by