1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my Chickens Stopped Laying!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Thechickmama, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Thechickmama

Thechickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    I have seven chickens and four that are so-posed to be laying, they are 1 year and 6 months about, I got three new one around June, July and ones a roo but the others are hens, they halved stopped laying for about one and a half months, I give them a heat lamp at night, but I don't know what's wrong. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!:barnie

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Firstly - are they in molt?? Do they look tatty, are feathers falling out, generally looking blah? After the first year or so, chickens will molt, this effectively ends laying for some time since molting is a heavy drain on resources. If they are molting, you will need to 'up' the protein in the diet to enable them to recover more quickly.
    Alternatively, any new stress for them? New additions, change of coop/surroundings? Chickens don't like change and it can put them off laying for a while. We are also coming up to winter and laying does slow down some.
    Have you checked them for parasites? lice, mites etc. Do they need worming? Are they eating/drinking ok? What does their poop look like? normal?
    These are a few suggestions for you to look into, let us know what you find [​IMG]

3. Thechickmama

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    Code:

Some of them are in molt but only 2 of the 7 and I got 3 new chicks at July, and one is a roo. and I moved in a new coop for my ducks right outside their gate, yes I checked for parasites, and I don't think they Ned worming, and their poop is fine, no signs of worms. Their eating and drinking are fine just one or two need to drink more water, but I'm working on those chickens to drinking more, and being successful! They have 24hr food and water and have a heat lamp for the night(don't know if that has anything to do with that but not sure so thought I should put it in) thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I think there may be a couple of things going on here. Sounds like they are eating/drinking/pooping fine and seem to be content. So....although you only have 2 currently molting, I think maybe the others will be joining them soon, they are the right age for their molt. Is the roo making a pest of himself?? Harassing the ladies or such? If he is, he needs to be removed for a time. When did you move the duck pen??
    I'm hoping someone else can offer you some suggestions that maybe I've missed......keep us posted..

5. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    does your heat lamp produce red light? if so, they're not laying because of the shortened amount of day light since winter's coming. mine haven't layed in almost 2 months. last week i put a
    light on a timer from 4p to 8p and they started right back up with in a few days. red light doesn't work though.

6. Thechickmama

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co

Moved the duck pen 1 week ago, all of them finshed molting or they are too young to molt, yes the roo Is harassing them but I'm moving him into a separated area soon, like today, and then Im going to sell him.

7. Thechickmama

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    Yes I have a red light. But it does't seem to affect them though.

8. Thechickmama

Dec 2, 2013
    Fort Collins, co
    I just found a egg, but it was not in the nest box, so I think I'm going to buy some fake eggs for them. :)

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Check all nooks & crannies they can access - you may find more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by