Help--my chickens wonʻt eat anything but greens and their crumbles

clickncluck

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2011
Kahaluu on Oahu
Hi all,
Everyone talks about what treats they are giving their chicks. My girls are 10 1/2 weeks old and wonʻt eat anything. Yesterday I gave them a strawberry, worm and soldier fly larva and the only thing they ate was the cabbage. They arenʻt even that interested in scratch. Any ideas to help vary their diets?

I don't think you need to. LOL They aren't laying age, so they are still just growing. In my limited experience, they are doing what most do at that age...eat crumbles and pretend to pick at a few things. Wait 5-6 more weeks and they will suddenly catch on the th idea of "treats" and will maul you everyday looking for some.
wink.png

Last edited:
mine are about 8wks and won't touch anything other than the crumbles. Give them time, when they get bigger they will attack everything they can! lol!

mine would fight over worms since i started giving them to them at a couple weeks of age. the first time i held one up, they all came running.

as long as they're eating their food, though, there is nothing to be concerned about.

I thought I was the only one with picky chickens. My ten girls are 8 weeks old and I have gone so far as to dig worms for them, bought black oil sunflowers seeds, given them sweet potato sticks and other goodies, but they snub it all, except for cooked oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs. I'm glad to hear the tide may turn, since there will be lots of crickets and other "free" food soon.

Click died today. I hope it wasn't from the worm or soldier fly larva. The vet said she was too thin. She only weighed 1# 8 oz and sussex are supposed to be big birds. She was almost 10 weeks. I don't think the other 2 girls are much different. I'm going to worm them but what else should I do to put some meat on their bones. I sure hope the other 2 don't get what ever Click had. I'm sad.

So sorry for the loss of click, I have had healthy (I thought) birds die. Don't beat yourself up. Some time it's just their time to go. I myself believe there will be a time to see them again.

Back
Top Bottom