Help!!!! My Chicks Are Dying!

juelz1380

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
so about 3 weeks back, i bought a total of 8 baby chicks.... 4 australorps and 4 barred rock.... they looked a lot smaller than other times that i had gotten them... but never thought anything was wrong! We lost 3 about a week after we got them.... no signs of sickness... looked fine, went to bed they were fine woke up they were dead... Today, i checked them and they looked fine! healthy looking baby chicks.... i have noticed they werent growing as fast as my last batch.... but i figured it was the breeds maybe.... When i got home from work another was dead, and another looked like bones and feathers! the poor thing couldnt walk.... its eyes were half glazed over and it lost all its bulk in a few hours! I took it out of the bin where the remaining chicks are, tried to give it water... maybe got a sip down.... i put the chick starter in a small dish instead of the feeders.... Could it just be a bad batch of chicks??? PLEASE HELP!!!!
barnie.gif

It could be a bad batch of feed. Our feed store just recently discovered they had a bad batch and about 20% of the birds that she ordered developed Ricketts. I'd feed them some egg yolks asap and switch the feed. I'd also pump them with vitamins.

I'm sure you've checked for pasty butts. Are they pooping, eating and drinking normal??? how's the heat lamp degrees? Who did you get5 them from? Shipped? What bedding do they have?

we had the same propblem with our first batch. We got 15 pullets from Ideal about 3 weeks ago and only 5 survived, we re-ordered 12 from Ideal and they all did really well. We then ordered 4 more from mypetchicken and they are doing good. we are now waiting on another package of 4 from mypetchicken... darn chicken math. We never changed anything so it had to have been a bad batch from Ideal.

i have had all of them on the same food and put the vitamins in their water.... the last little sick one didnt make it.... all the rest seem healthy... I got them from agway... I have gotten all my chicks there and I also got the food there... I am soooo upset cause all my easter eggers are gone! I am using hay for bedding, they seems to be normal otherwise.... I just cant believe within a few hours they looked like i didnt feed them since they were born! I bought new bedding and new food and didnt realize that i could give them eggs!!!! I am boiling them as i type! TY soooo much for the advise!

Back
Top Bottom