1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my chicks haven't open his eyes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rubenmarquez23, Feb 13, 2014.

1. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    I got my chicks from ideal today all are alive I fed and gave them them electrolytes when I got home two of them haven't open there eyes they only stand in one stop chirping they only open there eyes when I touch them, will they be okay?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How often have you given them water? Do you have electrolytes available? Try putting a bit of sugar in their water. (3 TBSP/qt.) Liquids are the most important need in the beginning. Keep working to get them to drink some of the sugar water. What is the brooder temp? Do these chicks feel colder to the touch than the others?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. rubenmarquez23

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Every 30 mins water with electrolytes or should I give him sugar water? the temp is 95, he is warm to the touch

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have electrolytes in the water, that's great. You could add extra sugar to the water for the sick chicks in the ratio of 2 TBSP per quart, but you might want to only give the extra sugar to the 2 chicks that are not acting right. Time will tell if they will be ok. be sure to keep the hatchery informed, so if you loose them, you can get reimbursement or replacement. Good luck.

5. rubenmarquez23

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks I'm going to add some sugar, I hope they get better, I have 4 days if anything happens

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You are not trying to hatch him just keep him warm so is there room for him to
    get away from the heat ??????
    Sugar water will give his energy to get him started ...........
    Maybe some cooked and mashed up egg also .........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by