Help: My chick's pooper is clogged

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WestCoast Hen, Apr 2, 2012.

1. WestCoast Hen

WestCoast Hen New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    Poor chick, she's not moving much and her poop is dried to her butt. How far should I go to tear it off? What's the best way?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Warm water with mild soap and a soft toothbrush. Time for a good bum washing.

3. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Great advice.

4. LotsaFarm1lot

LotsaFarm1lot New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    West TN
    We have had chickens just since November and I just had my first "chicken bottom" washing experience this weekend! One of the Silkies looked so uncomfortable. Upon closer inspection, I found that her soft fluff just under her tail that had just looked "dirty" a few days before before had become bound up and she had a large hard ball hanging under her tail. Ouch!
    Based on advice I read on other parts of this site, I held her backside in a bucket of water (she was surprisingly obliging and tried to help perch on the rim!) and then alternated soaking and working that mass loose. I was concerned about pulling feathers and did not want it to tear off, so I just used my (gloved) fingers and eventually worked it loose. The toothbrush is a good idea - I'm going to try that next time. If my DH had been home to help I may have tried cutting some of it off, but the soaking eventually got it off and she must have felt much better!

Now I know ... I have to add "bathing chicken rumps" to my list of backyard farm chores! :D

5. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    OKay, i just need to vent for a second if you dont mind

WHY DOES EVERYONE SOAK THEM IN WARM WATER? IF YOU DONT SOAK IT IT WILL RIP OFF AND NOT COME BACK! I UNDERSTAND IF ITS REALLY BAD BUT STILL...

okay sory had to vent, butthey gave good advice

6. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I have used tweezers to break up the little poop balls. Along with the warm water and soap. It works every time!!

7. WestCoast Hen

WestCoast Hen New Egg

Oct 27, 2011
    Oi, emergency bum clean up done for tonight. Of 11 chicks, 3 needed it and badly. Oh, I hope they make it. Last year I got my first batch of 12 day old chicks and never went through any of this. I'll go at it again tomorrow.
    Thanks again everyone. I also posted same issue on the emergency forum and got great response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by