HELP - My chooks are driving me mad!!!!!

Serendipity0027

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
We have 4 chickens (2 x Bantams 2 x black & white spotted ones - name unknown, they just looked good)

They are backyard chooks and have their own reasonably sized fenced off area and a wooden coop however my DH has allowed them roam free around the garden (which is not the problem) over time they have sort of been encourage with nibbles on the grass near the patio BUT it has come at a cost - namely my back patio that they tend to hang out on and mess everywhere!!!

How do I stop them from coming onto the patio??

I think they are using the patio for two reasons:
1 - get out of the elements
2 - to view themselves in the window reflection big_smile

Also is is required for them to have an undercover area for when it rains etc or will they use their coop during the day in different weather conditions?

I am considering fencing off the patio to try and train them not to go there but my DH still think we have to have an undercover area??

Thanks all and look forward to your experienced replies.

Ya, they probably want a covered area to get out of the sun and rain.... Mine have always had a large coop, but unless its time to sleep or lay an egg, they never went in it. They found other covered areas to hang in......

Do you come in and out of a door on the porch?? If so its possible they are waiting for you to come back, along with using it as shelter.

Hope this helps a little.

My chickens use their coop when it rains, however they tend to go underneath it instead of inside. When they're loose they don't really like going back inside unless they have to. But you could try putting up a little shelter for them to go under when it rains.

Quote:
Yes we do use that door, its our back door and its a big area that I have made it into an entertainment area - for the humans but the chickens also want a piece of it!!
Very embarrassing when surprise guests arrive and the first thing you find yourself doing is apologizing for the poop all over . . . I am so over it!

Back
Top Bottom