HELP - My cockerel has stopped "cock-a-doodle-dooing!"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fisherandchips, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Fisherandchips

Fisherandchips New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    My cockerel has lost his voice....has anyone else experienced this? Its my first batch of birds that I have had since May last year. This is my first winter with them and wondered if it had something to do with the cold etc? Also his comb has become swollen, but no blackness, would this be frostbite? If so what is the cure?

I would appreciate any advice as it makes me feel awful to think they maybe something wrong...

Thank you kindly
    Jenny-Lee

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A swollen comb without any discoloration does not immediately make me think frostbite. There is usually at least some discoloration with frostbite, either black (severe), brown (minimal), or sometimes just a weird yellowish cast (very slight).

How's the air quality in your coop? Good ventilation? No high ammonia stink?

Have you wormed the birds lately? Any signs of gapeworm in the roo?

Any wheezing or crackly breathing sounds? Any "cold" symptoms in the rest of the flock?

3. Fisherandchips

Fisherandchips New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thank you for your response, and fab profile pic!

Hmmmm there are no other signs that you mention. Maybe it would be best for me to post a pic tmrw. Have you come across the loss of cock- a-doodling before?

Thanks
    Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by