Help! My coop is stuck

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Snozzle, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Ok so I finally had my new coop delivered. We had planned on building one, but they made me a great deal, because the town made chicken keeping illegal(we don't live in town) and they just wanted it gone, we would have paid about the same for materials.
    It's a 5x6 coop with room for about 6-8 chickens and it has wooden skids on the bottom. Well it was delivered, but only to the front of the property and now we need to somehow move it about 300 feet to the back to where the chickens are. The ground is uneven on one side and we can't move anything too heavy around the other side due to the well and septic tank being underground there, on top of everything this place is a huge mud pit of red clay, it has been pouring rain almost every day and it's supposed to keep going with no end in sight. We have tried pulling it with a 5hp craftsman lawn tractor, but it wouldn't even wiggle. We also have a Frontier 4x4, but I am not sure if we could even fit it through there and it would be too heavy for the other side to go through.
    So I need help, any ideas or suggestions from anyone would be great. I thought about those furniture things, that pick up the cabinet a bit and then you can push them easier, do they make anything of that sort for outdoors? Mini hovercrafts? Teleportation? Rent a giant? Anything realistic?

2. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Would it be possible to lay it on its side and roll it...not sure if the roof sticks out on the edges/corners that may be damaged making this a bad suggestion:( and so it doesnt get muddy and wet lay a tarp or plastic drop cloth each time you roll it to the next side. i really dont see any other way unless you have a group of strong guys to straight lift it

Good luck!!

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    There would be no way for us to sit it back upright, it's very top heavy, here is a pic of it before it got delivered
    [​IMG]

4. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Yeah bad suggestion, sorry haha, try putting logs under it and rolling it over the ground

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Well I thought about logs, but we can't even lift it or tip it enough for that.
    As far as the trailers go, I really can't spend $200 on something I will never use again right now, the coop itself pretty much ate my savings, it's very soon after christmas and my car is spewing oil everywhere(repair or new car), I just really can't afford anything else right now.

8. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Hmm the dolly would be a possibility, but how and where would I lift it up? If I tip it it'll fall on me and kill me, I'm only 5ft, that thing is at least 2 ft taller then I. lol

9. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    if you can lift one side up off the ground I have a suggestion...if you use a couple sheets of plywood lay one down under the coop, then place the next sheet beside it in the direction that you want to go. On top of the plywood place some long pieces of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe. Once you get the coop on top you should be able to roll it by moving the PVC pipes and Plywood in front of it as you go....just a thought! That is how the Hot Tub company brought our hot tub up onto our deck....just 2 guys...it looked real easy

10. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    That's a very good idea, we have a bunch of pvc pipe laying around, if the rain holds off for a while we will give that a try. I saw a computer animation on the history channel about a theory like that how the boulders of the pyramids were said to be moved in that way. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by