1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ! My day old chicks butt is blocked!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Monica Ruth, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Monica Ruth

Monica Ruth New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi just wondering what I should do!!!
    We have just hatched out our first ever chicks - out of five eggs, we have one egg yet to hatch, three healthy fluff balls and one who's not too good. It hatched this morning and still had a small amount of yellow goo plus what I think was the umbilical cord. Ten hours on the cord has shrivelled and dried up but the butt is looking blocked. I has fluffed up and appears ok, but worried about the butt, looks blocked, dry and sort of bulging ( ill try and post a pick with this post) Looks like it would have no chance of getting a poop out. I have not interfered but wondering if there is anything I should be doing?? It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but looks totally different to the other chicks??

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    In the absence of a pic, the only advice I can give, would be to wash its butt with warm running water and add a splash of Apple cider vinegar to the drinking water. To encourage it to drink , dip your finger in the water and touch the end of the beak.
    And welcome to BYC.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. SweetLilChicken

SweetLilChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Australia, Perth WA
    Your chick might have pasty butt.

You can read up about it.
    You have to remove it before it clogs up until the chick cant poop.
    I usually use a damp paper towel and gently keep wiping the bottom. Just to say you have to be patient with this stuff, it does take a while to get rid of all the gunk! I sit there for about half an hour doing it.

Good Luck!

4. SweetLilChicken

SweetLilChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Australia, Perth WA
    also... [​IMG]

5. Monica Ruth

Monica Ruth New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for advice and warm welcome to BYC, sorry, I've taken a pic but can't work out how to attach ?

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Don't worry Hun, we'll just have to use our imagination. Since I started adding acv to my chicks water, I haven't had any pasty butt. Your little guy may have dried membrane or yolk over its little butt. Use nice warm water and rub gently with your fingers , till you can see the vent.

1 person likes this.
  7. lauras silkies

lauras silkies New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Don't put acv in metal water source always plastic. A few granules of sugar to warm water should give baby a energy boost. As above wiping the bum will stimulate the muscles and help clear block as well as cleaning any external restrictions away. The yolk of a hard boiled egg is also a good boost for baby. Hope this helps

8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I give mine scrambled egg with Greek yoghurt mixed in. How is the little guy doing?

9. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Question for you guys. I have a chick that looks like it has pasty butt. I have never seen pasty butt before, but I guess this is it. Upon wiping, I noticed that it looks like the vent is really protruding. Is that just part of pasty butt? Is something wrong with her? [​IMG]

I took a picture but can't seem to load it. I'll keep trying, but in the mean time, has anyone ever seen what looks like a hemorrhoid?

10. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I had a chick that came to me with pasty butt. Her vent protruded, and did a weird pulsing thing, for quite a while. Like, 3-4 months. In fact, she could still have a weird pulsing vent, but feathers finally covered her up. The pasty butt cleared up right away, but I kept a bit of vaseline on the vent to protect it from dryness for a few days since the area seemed irritated. Like the OP's chick, my chick also had some umbilical cord attached, and that area was also swollen for a few days. She ended up fine. Your chick's vent is probably just swollen from pasty butt and should be fine in a few days.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by