HELP! My dogs ate my birds.

Littleducky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
La Center, Wa
I have two dogs and I had 48 baby quail...........

I now have two dogs and 27 quail. When I got back into the garage there were 5 dead and the other 16 were missing... In the dogs bellies.

I just want to know this isn't going to hurt them will it. I know it was my mistake I forgot that they were outside. I don't let them out when I have the garage door open. I just worry about the small bones. Sadly they dogs look about as content as they can be.

I don't think that there will be any problems but I just feel awful.

If they were my dogs, they'd have more to worry about than small bones. :thun

Aside from how I feel about such a massacre and what I would do about it, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
smile.png

Just a warning.... Once they get the taste of blood in their mouth. They will try it again and again and again. So be warned the dogs will try to get back to them. I am so sorry..

I think your puppy will be fine. He may get an upset stomache, so keep an eye on him if he stays in the house. I've cleaned up too many aftermaths of upset stomaches..it ain't pretty..

You really need to make sure they cannot repeat the stunt. Now that they know those little fluffy cockroaches(what my hubby calls our baby quail. LOL) are edible and more like moving kibbles n' bits, they are more apt to want second helpings.

I think you won't have to worry about the dog getting sick. Just in case keep an eye out for gagging, coughing, excessive vomit, and any other signs their snack didn't go down so well.

-Kim

I agree with the other poster. From now on, your dogs CANNOT be trusted anywhere near your birds. Please keep them apart. Don't "forget" in the future. Your quail deserve better than that.

Thanks for all of the input. I just feel so awful about what happened, knowing that it could have been prevented.

The rest of the quail are all doing well and the dogs are on lock down for a long time.

I know that I have to be extra careful from now on, and I had always been in the past. Things just got away from me and I should have known better.

Back
Top Bottom