HELP! My Dogs love Chicken Poo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SanClementeChick, Oct 7, 2008.

1. SanClementeChick

SanClementeChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2007
    I am a Chicken newbie and at first I worried my Dogs would go after the girls, but that has not been a problem. 2 of my 3 dogs love to eat the poo, the fresher the better! YUCK!
    Any ideas on ways to discourage them? I keep a hose outside so I can hose down my patio. I usually hose it at least 3 times a day, but the girls wander the whole yard most days when I am home. They have a breatiful coop and fenched in run the stay in when we are gone.
    I am also worried the dogs will get worms. I am using only organic feed, and I have never wormed the girls since getting them as day old chicks. I do use food grade DE in the food and inside the coop and run. I have never given my dogs DE but I heard it is ok. Anyone know how much DE per pound of dog and how often do you give it?
    Thanks for the Help
    San ClementeChick

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry I had to laugh somewhere in there. That's yucky! I feel for you. Just make sure no one gives the dog a doggy kiss. Double Yuck!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My dogs love poo too!...chicken/pig/goat/cat....[​IMG]....[​IMG]...then they wanna come give me a big wet one!....[​IMG]....

4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    My dog does that too...I call them her Chicken McNuggets. [​IMG] I can't catch her fast enough to prevent her from getting some, so I just check her for cocci now and then and do my best to prevent her nibbling.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine can't get to the chicken poo, but they love kitty poop. We call them kitty crunchies around here.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    ALL 5 of my dogs do it! And they like to roll in it...they come inside acting like I should be petting them with chicken doo all caked under their necks and their breath reeking of fresh chicken poo.... [​IMG] They're disgusting....

7. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Kitty Box Crunchies or Chicken Box Crunchies - what ever you call them, my Box/Mix loves them - then again she licks frogs too.

Like you, SanClementeChick , I have the same problem [​IMG]

My girls stay in the coop/run, but my box mix will lick up a chicken fresh crunchie any chance she gets. I try to discourage her as much as possible, but she has such tender feelings (Boxer side of nature) that I just try to be firm and end up shaking my head.

All you can do is what you are currently doing and keep an eye on the chickens and the dogs for cocci.

Think twice about lovable doggie kisses!

Good Luck!

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I cant think of any dog that wouldnt love chicken poo (or cat poo), given the chance.[​IMG]

9. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My American Bulldog loves it too, yuk!

10. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    "Chicken Candy" at our house. They find it before we even see it YUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by