Help, my duck coop floor is flooded!

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
it’s been raining since last night and the coop floor is full of water and the bedding is wet. It’s a disaster. I tried putting some overhanging on the roof, but it just made it worse. I can’t get outside to do anything. My poor ducks are sitting in the water. What can I do for them to keep them warm and dry? I have no other coop or anything that they can stay in. I’m at my wit’s end and I can’t seem to find a solution for my problem. I can’t find where the water is coming in from. It’s so frustrating and I have to change the bedding again and get all of the water out somehow and I don’t know when it’s gonna stop raining. I don’t want my ducks to freeze to death.

Do you have a tarp that you could temporarily put up?
Can we see pics of your set up?

I've had it rain and with the wind blowing just right, it made the inside if the coop wet. What I did was go out right before I out them to bed and scrape off the top layer of bedding. Then put a thick fresh thick layer of dry shavings down. Once I close the door, I usually don't have issues with rain coming in so they are dry for the night.

Another suggestion if possible would be to make a quick hardware store trip if possible and create an elevated, flat area above the water level with a gentle sloping ramp or steps that can go up and down, and have a layer of soft bedding on the platform. That way they have a dry spot to hop off to. Some pictures of the setup would be a big help (if it's covered, etc).

As a temporary fix, you can throw in pallets or a lot of extra litter of some sort (I'd recommend piles of weeds, yard debris, wood chips, etc) just to raise the floor level a bit so some of the water can drain off so the birds can at least stand somewhere drier.

Photos of your set up may help. Also you need to assess the location of your coop relative to the rest of the property, as moving it may be necessary if it sits in the lowest spot of the yard or sits in the path of natural drainage (your own or a neighbor's).

Back
Top Bottom